Tongue weight capability of 2x3x.125 steel tube at 21"?

In summary, the base can support a static load of up to 75 pounds, but it is not strong enough to support a load from a 3ft drop.
Kawana87
Hello everyone. I'm building myself a half-rack for weight lifting that included 2 overhung support beams above from which to hang a safety strap incase of a failed lift. They are made from 2x3x.125 steel tube (they're Oriented with the 3" vertically). The tube are overhung by 21". How much weight could they support statically, but also what could they sustain from say a 3ft drop? Edit: image added for reference.

Attachments

• 20220101_123600.jpg
    20220101_123600.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 129
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome!
The weakest link is the base.
It will fail by bending prior to the element you are asking about has a chance to fail.

Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
The weakest link is the base.
It will fail by bending prior to the element you are asking about has a chance to fail.
Ah, I hadn't considered that. What info would you need to figure the fail point of the base? Same overhang, 2x3x.125 tube, 75" between top and base. Realistically till be more than strong enough for anything I could lift but I'm curious what the math says.

Thread closed temporarily pending Moderation...

Kawana87 said:
Ah, I hadn't considered that. What info would you need to figure the fail point of the base? Same overhang, 2x3x.125 tube, 75" between top and base. Realistically till be more than strong enough for anything I could lift but I'm curious what the math says.

After a Mentor discussion, the thread will remain closed for safety and forum liability reasons. Here is one of the comments from that Mentor discussion:

There is more to making a safe rack than just the bending strength of the top pieces. There is also the bending strength of the bottom legs, the buckling strength of the vertical columns, the strap alignment, strap connection, stability, weld strength, and impact load. The impact load is several times higher than the static load, and cannot be calculated accurately because the strap spring constant is both unknown and nonlinear.

We cannot do a full engineering analysis for you, but can make this suggestion: Build it, then drop test the heaviest weight the longest possible distance. Do the drop test by having two people pick up the weight so that both people are standing outside the safety rack. That way, if it fails, it will collapse between the people so nobody will get hurt.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is tongue weight capability?

Tongue weight capability refers to the maximum amount of weight that can be safely placed on the tongue or front end of a trailer or vehicle.

2. How is tongue weight capability determined for a 2x3x.125 steel tube?

Tongue weight capability for a 2x3x.125 steel tube is determined by the strength and load-bearing capacity of the steel material. This can be calculated using engineering principles and testing.

3. What is the significance of the 21" measurement in the tongue weight capability of a 2x3x.125 steel tube?

The 21" measurement refers to the length of the steel tube that is being tested for tongue weight capability. This measurement is important because it affects the overall strength and load-bearing capacity of the tube.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the tongue weight capability of a 2x3x.125 steel tube at 21"?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the tongue weight capability of a 2x3x.125 steel tube at 21". These include the quality of the steel material, the manufacturing process, and any external forces or stressors that the tube may be subjected to.

5. Is there a standard or recommended tongue weight capability for a 2x3x.125 steel tube at 21"?

There is no specific standard or recommended tongue weight capability for a 2x3x.125 steel tube at 21". The capability will vary depending on the specific type and grade of steel used, as well as the intended use and load requirements of the tube.