Too much noise in Embedded system?

In summary, the noise from the ignition system should not be a problem, but the starter motor is creating a lot of noise.
Wetmelon
Too much noise in "Embedded" system?

Hey everyone. I'm working on putting a circuit board (with microprocessor, eventually) into a car for electro-pneumatic shifting on a manual transmission. This means that the circuit has to run on a 12V source being charged by an alternator.

I have a design for the circuit in Visio, and I was just wondering if there was going to be too much noise in the circuit. I know that previous iterations had too much, but will it affect this particular circuit?

Circuit:
attachment.php?attachmentid=22479&stc=1&d=1260774542.png

Attachments

• Shifter PCB Design 003.png
    Shifter PCB Design 003.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Oops! I put "12V source charged by a battery" I meant "12V source charged by an alternator"

Should make more sense now :P

Automotive electrical systems are notorious for having large amounts of noise due to the ignition system. Chances are, unless you include some type of filtering, you will have noise issues especially if power is taken directly from the alternator.

Why is your "upshift" button breaking the ground on your ECU ignition signal? Why is this even included in your circuit?

Filtering:
Ergh..? I'm a first year Engineering student... I have no knowledge of "filtering" systems (you mean like a capacitor ... somewhere?) :( Anything you can explain would be most excellent :P

Ignition Gnd:
It's a quick and dirty way of stopping the engine for a brief period of time while we shift gears... I forget exactly why, something to do with not putting too much strain on the engine. It's just like taking your foot off the gas when you shift, I guess.

I was told a series of requirements for this circuit, and copied its functionality directly from what we currently have using relays...

I did a bit more digging into what the previous problems had been. Turns out there is enough filtering when the alternator is converted to DC and passed through the battery that it doesn't really effect the system. More damaging, however, was the starter motor creating ridiculous magnetic fields that were causing the car systems (including the shifter controller) to do strange things... like shift gears :P

Turns out I just need some serious shielding! Thanks for the help, though :)

Last edited:

1. What is considered "too much noise" in an Embedded system?

"Too much noise" in an Embedded system refers to any external or internal interference that affects the proper functioning of the system. This can include electromagnetic interference (EMI), voltage fluctuations, and signal crosstalk.

2. How does too much noise impact an Embedded system?

Excessive noise can disrupt the communication between components in an Embedded system, leading to errors and malfunctions. It can also cause the system to consume more power, reducing its overall efficiency and reliability.

3. What are the common sources of noise in Embedded systems?

Some common sources of noise in Embedded systems include power supplies, motors, switches, and other electronic devices in the vicinity. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also contribute to noise.

4. How can too much noise be reduced in an Embedded system?

There are several ways to reduce noise in an Embedded system, including proper grounding and shielding, using quality components, and implementing filtering and decoupling techniques. Conducting thorough testing and analysis can also help identify and mitigate sources of noise.

5. What are the consequences of ignoring noise in an Embedded system?

If noise is not addressed in an Embedded system, it can result in system failures, data corruption, and reduced performance. It can also lead to costly repairs and replacements, and in some cases, safety hazards.