Tools every engineer should have for measurement?

In summary: And how about something to measure pressures: barometerThis is a good one too! Have always wanted to get one of these! Thanks!Oh and very importantly you can't go without a Geiger counter!
profinger
I love measuring and quantifying the world. I'm curious if I'm missing any good, essential tools. I'm also curious of some good, affordable fill-ins for some measurement capabilities that I may be missing.

I currently have:
  • Laser Distance Measure
  • Radar gun
  • Scales
  • IR Temp Sensor
  • pH Meter
  • Thermometer
  • Sound level meter
  • Multimeter
  • Cheap Torque Wrench

I'm planning to grab (soon or otherwise):
  • Handheld Anemometer
  • Light/Illumination Sensor
  • Caliper (Digital or otherwise. Is it dumb to settle for a 6"?)
  • Hygrometer

I'd like a way to measure:
  • Pulling force (Planning to grab a hooked suit case scale but there may be a better way?)
  • Everything else!

I'm just curious if there's anything else that anyone can recommend or any tips anyone can give. I am on a budget, obviously, and will likely be shopping on Amazon with some money received for Christmas.

My goal is to be able to measure most things that you can run into on a daily basis to quantify it and do so without buying a new tool every time that I find something new that I want to measure. I'm happy to improvise with things (such as my suit case scale idea for pulling force) but I'm curious if I'm missing any of the "primary colors" of measurement.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You're without a voltmeter? - and torque wrench?

Likes profinger
Ah,
Stephen Tashi said:
You're without a voltmeter? - and torque wrench?
Ah, check on both of those, forgot to list them though! Thanks!

A multimeter usually includes a voltmeter. A torque wrench is easily approximated by knowledge of the wrench handle length and the strain of the appropriate force. Precision proxy indicators are pretty useless without calibration standards.

Mass, length, [DELE]time[/DELE], temperature, [DELE]amount of substance[/DELE], current/charge, luminosity. So you're missing a good time base, and a "molemeter." Never could figure that one out as a fundamental measurement. Swap it for a good particle counter.

Likes profinger
Barometer and pressure gauge.
durometer: http://www.rexgauge.com/durometers

... oh yes, the stereotypical engineering measuring device, a theodolite

Likes profinger
.Scott said:
Barometer and pressure gauge.
durometer: http://www.rexgauge.com/durometers

... oh yes, the stereotypical engineering measuring device, a theodolite
Ahh, yes. A theodolite. How could I have forgotten that one! lol

I would get a set of known weights for calibration. As well, calipers are great, but a micrometer can be more accurate so I would invest in one. Also, I would get an adjustable strobe light to measure something like rotational speed.

Likes profinger
Depending on your area of interest: a high speed camera (and related equipment and software), laser timing gates, oscilloscope, accelerometers, and magnetic field sensors (Hall probe) can all be very useful.

Likes profinger
Hologram0110 said:
Depending on your area of interest: a high speed camera (and related equipment and software), laser timing gates, oscilloscope, accelerometers, and magnetic field sensors (Hall probe) can all be very useful.
I have an oscilloscope. Forgot to add that one.

I'd love to get a high speed camera but the prices of that are way out of range.. (I think?) I'd be interested in laser timing gates but that sounds like it'd be more fun to build than buy. (I'm sure purchased have a lot better calibration though?)

You obviously have one of these but it should be added to your list: a chronometer!

And how about something to measure pressures: barometer

Likes profinger
freddo said:
You obviously have one of these but it should be added to your list: a chronometer!
Haha probably too many! Good one though! Kind of important since time is kind of our master!

And how about something to measure pressures: barometer

This is a good one too! Have always wanted to get one of these! Thanks!

Oh and very importantly you can't go without a
Geiger counter!

Likes profinger

1. What are the essential tools for measurement in engineering?

The most essential tools for measurement in engineering include a ruler, calipers, micrometer, protractor, and tape measure. These tools are used to accurately measure length, angles, and diameters in various engineering projects.

2. Do engineers need specialized tools for measurement?

Yes, engineers often require specialized tools for measurement depending on the specific project they are working on. Some examples of specialized tools include laser distance measurers, contour gauges, and vernier scales.

3. What is the difference between precision and accuracy in measurement?

Precision refers to the consistency of measurements, while accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true value. In other words, precision is the ability to get the same result multiple times, while accuracy is the closeness of the result to the actual value.

4. Are digital or analog measurement tools better?

It depends on the specific needs of the project and personal preference. Digital tools, such as digital calipers and multimeters, provide more precise readings and are easier to read. Analog tools, such as ruler and protractors, may be preferred by some engineers who are more comfortable with traditional methods.

5. Can I use smartphone apps for engineering measurements?

While there are many measurement apps available, they may not always be accurate or reliable for engineering projects. It is best to use specialized tools designed for engineering measurements to ensure accuracy and precision.