Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tools needed to create a website?

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone, I need to create a website. Therefore, i would like to ask what are the tools required for the same. I know C/C++, java. I know that website designing is done in HTML, PHP etc. but i cannot form a clear picture of the same. I would like to know step by step procedure to create a website. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

-Job-

Science Advisor

Are you primarily interested in having a site up and running, or in understanding and being able to develop a site?

If it's the first one, just go to Google Sites or the N equivalent site builders out there and get something up and running in minutes.

Otherwise, W3Schools is a good site to start with, take a look at the HTML, CSS and JavaScript sections and a server-side language such as PHP.

Websites serve HTML, which is processed by browsers. Server-side languages like PHP are used to dynamically generate the HTML that is served to the client. HTML can contain:

1. CSS - tells the browser how to render the page. Designers often use image editing programs to create the look and feel, then CSS to achieve the same result (that's because designing by directly manipulating, and being constrained by, HTML/CSS, is a pain).

2. JavaScript - code that runs on the browser and is used to manipulate the contents of the page once it has loaded from the server.

That's the basics, the rest is just practice.

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    Actually i am interested in having a site up, as in let's say i have an organization and i want to build a site for the same (dot-com kind of thing). Regarding Google sites (or any other site builders), i think they are just like blogs, i.e. you just use predefined templates and fill in the blanks.
    Though, i want to get professional and want to start from the scratch and build up on that (I don't know how difficult it would be).

5. Nov 27, 2011 #4
    As of now, i have these books
    "HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide" by Bill Kennedy and Chuck Musciano (O'Reilly).
    "Learning PHP 5" by Sklar.

to get started.

6. Nov 27, 2011 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have built several web sites using only that book as a guide, but I do have to add that they are very utilitarian sites, rather plain looking and don't have anything like a shopping cart or a checkout process, they just serve up pages of images and text. If you want to get more elaborate you'll likely have to use either JavaScript or server-side programming, or both.

Here are some of my sites:

wood ID: www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
    BOWLS: www.phinds.com/bowls/
    jewelry box veneer: www.hobbithouseinc.com/store/
    wood glossary: www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_glossary.htm
    wood poster: www.woodposter.com/
    woodworking acronyms: www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_acronyms.htm

7. Nov 27, 2011 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Beautiful poster.

Say, do you link to those acronyms in your sites? If so, you could make your Glossary even more user-friendly.

You could add a name attribute to each label, like this:
    PHP:
    <br><br><b name="GCSS">GCSS</b>
    Now, anywhere you use GCSS in any online doc, you could make it a link directly to this line, like this:

PHP:
    I like to use <a href="http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_acronyms.htm#GCSS">GCSS</a> to do my woodowork.

8. Nov 27, 2011 #7
    Really interesting websites i would say. This is what i was actually looking for, a correct picture of how to design a website. Thank you very much.
    If possible, could you please tell what is the cost of buying a domain name and other costs?

9. Nov 27, 2011 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I may play around w/ that Dave. Thanks. I'm very aware of a TON of things I could do to improve the sites. I think what you have there is functionally identical to the way I DO tag the items in the glossary and in fact, it's how my auto-generated "pages" within the glossary get back and forth to each other.

10. Nov 27, 2011 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Domain names will run you as little as $5 for the first year if you find a sale. Regular yearly prices run from $10 to $15 depending on who you register with.

Sites are free for small ones and they go up from there. I have been using a VPS which is very expensive but while a VPS was a good idea for a site the size of mine back about 10 years ago when I started it and wanted room to grow, these days my site is small potatoes and I'm going to switch over soon to a hosted site that is about $100/yr (discounted to $50 the first year including another domain name)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook