Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Tools to transform primitive cell orientation

1. Nov 13, 2016 #1
    In case the orientation of a primitive cell is not what I want, is there tools to do a user-supplied 3D rotation to bring the primitive cell to the preferential orientation and output the new coordinates? Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2016 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Yes, it is called linear algebra :-)

4. Nov 14, 2016 #3
    Dude, thanks for your response anyway. Everybody learned linear algebra and I know it pretty well. For these well-developed topics and industry-like ab initio calculation, there should be ready tools existing to free individuals from detailed manipulation of matrices and close attention to avoid errors.

5. Nov 14, 2016 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Maybe VESTA can do this.

6. Nov 14, 2016 #5
    I tried VESTA, and dragged the primitive cell to different orientations, and then output the structure to files, but found no change in the atomic positions. Maybe I did something wrong, if anybody knows how to do so with VESTA and let me know where I did anything wrong, I would be really appreciated!

7. Nov 16, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted