Top 3 facts that would blow the facebook generation away?

  • Thread starter Thread starter budd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Facts Generation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 10K views


What is required for time travel then?
You enter a black box, wait for time t, and leave the box, the time in the world has advanced by t+x with x>0. Is that time travel?
In science fiction stories, t is something like seconds to hours and x can be several years. With the ISS, t is something like one year and x is some milliseconds.Freezing something does not change time - it slows down chemical processes (but not nuclear decays and other stuff), but not the time itself.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


mfb said:
What is required for time travel then?
I don't know. As far as I know time travel is just a nonsensical grouping of agile terms.

mfb said:
You enter a black box, wait for time t, and leave the box, the time in the world has advanced by t+x with x>0. Is that time travel?
No.
 


Top 3 facts that would blow the facebook generation away?
1. I remember being blown away when I learned that magnetic forces can be explained as a modification of electric forces due to relativistic effects. (See E. Purcell's text on Electricity and Magnetism.)

2. Now I am blown away that a good quantitative theory of magnetism was developed before people knew anything about relativity.

3. Likewise, that thermodynamics was developed before the existence of atoms and molecules was established.
 


Top 3 facts that would blow the facebook generation away?
1. Not everything on Wikipedia is true.

2. Before GPS when it was possible to get lost.

3. There was a time before Al Gore when the internet didn't exist.
 


Borg said:
1. Not everything on Wikipedia is true.

2. Before GPS when it was possible to get lost.

3. There was a time before Al Gore when the internet didn't exist.

Minor point... It's still possible to get lost with GPS. For instance, my car is thoroughly convinced that I drive through a cornfield on my way to work ("Recalculating... Don't forget the butter..."), but the reality is that I drive over an ex-cornfield that's been turned into a tollway and the maps haven't been updated.
 


I think a few people are missing the point of the OPs question. The "Facebook" generation don't have a clue about Einstein, or relativity, or muons... Need simpler facts that they can understand.
 


larrybud said:
I think a few people are missing the point of the OPs question. The "Facebook" generation don't have a clue about Einstein, or relativity, or muons... Need simpler facts that they can understand.
I am one of the facebook generation (it became popular in my mid-teens but before that myspace and MSN were ubiquitous) and the suggestion that we need simpler facts or that there are 3 things that would specifically blow us away over any other demographic is both foolish and insulting.
 


larrybud said:
I think a few people are missing the point of the OPs question. The "Facebook" generation don't have a clue about Einstein, or relativity, or muons... Need simpler facts that they can understand.
The text of your tweet is too long.