1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Top Undergrad Engineering (specifically mechanical, electrical, and chemical)

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    The top programs AFTER:

MIT
    UC-Berkley
    Stanford

i goofed off my freshman and sophmore years of HS, but have picked it up now, so I'm looking for engineering. I know Vanderbilt stacks up in the top 10, but I'm not sure which other programs are good. If you can, post some of your experiences as well!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2
    Caltech...

I hear GIT is very good.

4. May 8, 2007 #3
    Georgia Tech has a good program

5. May 8, 2007 #4
    Ut at austin is rather good.

6. Jun 11, 2007 #5
    sadakka, iv got some inside knowledge for you my friend. I basically started out just like you. I was a Ginormous screw up in high school and didnt apply myself WHAT SO EVER. My highest level of math coming out of HS was algebra (didnt touch trig, pre-cal, cal, NOTHING) I enrolled in a local community college where I began to take my life serious. I got all of my basics out of the way like eng, gov, hist, soci, arts, and as much math as I could do. A year and a half later I was accepted to the University of Texas at Austin with a 3.5(I think). However I wasnt accepted to the school of engineering(due to my lack of math) like I wanted but the school of liberal arts. Im now just a few credits short of transferring to Aerospace Engineering with a pretty respectable GPA. As much as I hate the saying "If, I can do it, you can" its so true in this case. Just two years ago I was taking shots of dads vodka in HS biology and coming to school blown out of my mind. Now Im about to be a proud student of the #7(I beleive) Aerospace Engineering school in the nation.

BIG THINGS THAT HELPED ME!
    1) I joined student government at my community college (looks great)

2) member of Phi theta kappa which is a junior college honor society (looks better, you need a 3.5)

3) got recommendation letters (using my student government resources) from a number of professors and advisors including UT graduates.

4) applied in the spring (I didnt have to compete with all the highs chool kids applying for fall)

Hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know. Keep those grades up .

7. Jun 11, 2007 #6
    I think Harvey Mudd has the top ranked engineering program.

8. Jun 12, 2007 #7
    Wow, that is embarrassing...I COMPLETELY misread your topic. I was under the impression you had screwed up in high school and were trying to get into a 4 years school via a community college.

*note to self* READ TOPICS TWICE FROM NOW ON

Pretty sure MIT's got that spot

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  9. Jun 12, 2007 #8
    nope,
    MIT has the top ranked graduate engineering

Mudd's got the top arnked undergraduate engineering.

10. Jun 12, 2007 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It has the highest ranked undergraduate program among schools which do not offer a PhD. There's a tremendous difference.

- Warren

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  11. Jun 12, 2007 #10
    UCLA and U Toronto, I believe

12. Jun 12, 2007 #11
    that is a good point.

but still, you cant go wrong with mudd either way.

13. Jun 12, 2007 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course you can. Frankly, there are better schools. Many of them.

- Warren

14. Jun 12, 2007 #13
    Many? Perhaps a handful, if that.

15. Jun 13, 2007 #14
    Harvey Mudd is a Liberal Arts school.... they require 1/3 of your classes to be a liberal art.

16. Jun 13, 2007 #15
    yea, but its still a top notch engineering school.

17. Jun 13, 2007 #16
    no, sorry, there are two hierarchies, schools that offer PhDs and schools that don't. you're either in the minors or in the majors, thats the way it is.

I'm sure Austin is better, CalTech, Michigan, Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Columbia, Cornell...yeah I'm sure Mudd measures up well to these monster schools who get way more funding, have way more research oppurtunities, etc, etc.

18. Jun 13, 2007 #17
    Uh, yeah, it does "measure up."

19. Jun 13, 2007 #18
    you honestly think it measures up to Caltech and Harvard? where groundbreaking research is going on, where the students get top notch internships? i haven't heard anything coming from Mudd, oh yeah, because they dont offer PhD's. sorry, ask anyone who knows anything, Mudd isn't the best, it might be a top 20 program, but those other 19 programs probably offer PhD's and hence get more funding, better instructors, more prestige, more companies recruiting from their campus, etc.

oh, FANTASTIC ARGUMENT you gave. you really came with the goods.

20. Jun 13, 2007 #19
    I don't claim to know anything about Mudd engineering, but I do know that Mudd has hardcore awesome math, physics, and computer science departments. I have no doubt its engineering program is also hardcore awesome.

And we're talking undergrad here. Obviously the kids don't come out with doctorates... Also, I really don't know how the research opportunities of these various schools compare, but you can learn more about Mudd engineering here since it doesn't appear that you really know what you're talking about.

21. Jun 13, 2007 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?