Topic Error after switch form AOL to Bellsouth/AOL

In summary, the problem may be with AOL trying to connect to the Bellsouth DSL modem even though AOL is no longer being used. The fix may be to stop using AOL's software and use the built in windows phone dialer.
e.m.i.l.y.110100
"Topic!" Error after switch form AOL to Bellsouth/AOL

I had AOL for a while and signed up for the offer where you get both AOL and Bellsouth DSL. Certain links (including those which are supposed to lead to an email to contact someone) bring up a dialog box which says "Topic!". Certain links used to bring up the AOL screen and try to start dial-up to reach the destination of the link. How could this be fixed so that AOL could be disconnected from Bellsouth fully?
(P.S.-The reason for signing up with the joint internet services was that it was cheaper than signing up with Bellsouth alone by around $8.00 per month.) Thanks.:smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you using AOL's software? If so, stop! Use the built in windows phone dialer. Here are some instructions:

http://www.flex.com/support/xpsetup.html

Also, I should note that AOL is rather expensive for the service. You can get the same internet for $10 or less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I'm not using dialup anymore. What I have is Bellsouth DSL and seperately AOL dialup. But I signed up with the offer through AOL where you get both of these services for a cheaper price than if you paid for either seperately. The problem, as far as I can guess might have to do with certain links still trying to use AOL (such as email links,etc.). I'm not really sure about the exact problem though, or how to fix it.

If you are still using the AOL browser, then that may be the problem.

How is the DSL modem connected to your system, i.e. is the DSL directly connected to the PC's NIC card. I would recommend a router, which has somewhat of a firewall, plus allows one to add other PC's to a local network (LAN).

You should be able to go through MS Internet Exlorer directly, if the modem is set up correctly, and the modem should be set up through the browser anyway.

In the IE browser (See Tools > Internet Option > Programs) to see what is set up for your email and other browser functions.

Thanks, I just read the reply and did what you said, it works now. :biggrin:

1. What is the cause of the "Error after switch form AOL to Bellsouth/AOL"?

The error is most likely caused by conflicting settings or outdated software after switching from AOL to Bellsouth/AOL. It could also be due to a compatibility issue between the two services.

2. How can I fix the error after switching from AOL to Bellsouth/AOL?

To fix the error, you can try updating your software and checking for any conflicting settings. If the issue persists, you may need to contact your service provider for assistance.

3. Is the error common when switching from AOL to Bellsouth/AOL?

The error may occur for some users, but it is not a common issue. It is important to ensure that all settings and software are up to date when making the switch to avoid any potential errors.

4. Can I still access my AOL account after switching to Bellsouth/AOL?

Yes, you should still be able to access your AOL account after switching to Bellsouth/AOL. However, you may need to update your account settings to ensure a smooth transition.

5. Will switching from AOL to Bellsouth/AOL affect my email or other services?

Switching from AOL to Bellsouth/AOL should not affect your email or other services. However, it is recommended to check for any updates or changes in settings to ensure everything is functioning properly.