Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topics in Mathematics

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    I am a second year math/biology major, and I constantly see references to sinh, cosh, etc. or "hypergeometric functions." For instance, I was on the Wolfram Mathematica Online Integrator, and out of curiosity I asked it to integrate sec(x), which lead to the answer 2tanh[tex]^{-1}[/tex](tan[tex]\frac{x}{2}[/tex])+c. However, I have never been introduced to these topics in any of the classes I've taken (Calculus series, multi-variable calculus, introduction to proof, linear algebra). What classes are these topics typically introduced in? Should I know them by now? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would imagine hyperbolic functions (sinh, cosh etc..) to be introduced probably in an introductory calculus course. If not, though, then you can just read up on them yourself, it shouldn't take too long.

As for hypergeometric functions, they will probably be introduced in a differential equations course, if at all.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  4. Oct 7, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

You will also encounter hypergeometric functions in some advanced statistics courses.
  5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're more likely to encounter them in a statistics course (or perhaps an advanced probability class) than DiffEq, I'd say.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?