1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology, defn of a nowhere dense set in a metric space

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Defn: A subset A of a metric space (X, d) is NOWHERE DENSE if its closure has empty interior.

Now I am told that this implies 1. A is nowhere dense iff closure of A does not contain any non-empty open set and 2. A is nowhere dense iff each non-empty open set has a non-empty open subset disjoint from A.

I have no problem with statement 1, but with regards to statement 2, my query is, is it implicit that each non-empty open set is a non-empty open set in X?

2. Relevant equations
    The closure of A is the union of A and its limit pts

3. The attempt at a solution
    I ask the question because from statement 1, there can be no open set in the closure of A, and thus in A or the set of its limit pts. The only other set where an open set could be seems to be X.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. I would take 'open' to mean 'open in X'. After all, a nowhere dense set has to have someplace to be nowhere dense in.

4. Feb 20, 2007 #3
    Thanks Dick, that's the second time you've helped me out this week.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?