Topology Math GRE Prep | Best Book Intro Guide

In summary, the person is looking for a book to help them prepare for the mathematics subject test of the GRE. They have the Princeton Review guide but are looking for a stronger foundation. Another person suggests "Munkres Topology," specifically Part 1, as a popular and standard introduction to Point Set Topology. The person is able to find the book at their university's library and is concerned about the lack of solutions in the book. Another person recommends "Mathematical Physics" by Robert Geroch as a good and concise introduction.
Jademonkey
I won't be able to take a course in topology before I have to take the mathematics subject test of the GRE. I have the Princeton Review guide, but I'm looking for a little stronger of a foundation. Is there a good book introductory book for this purpose? If so, what sections should I read?

Physics news on Phys.org
Munkres Topology is a very popular, standard introduction to Point Set Topology. I would suggest reading Part 1 (Part 2 is Algebraic Topology).

Thanks a bunch! I'll look into that.

Cool. It is an extremely popular book so you should probably be able to find it in a library.

I'm actually in the math building of my university right now and just picked it up from the library across the hall :) It looks to be well written, but I'm a little worried about the lack of solutions in the book. I guess I can search for the specific questions or ask here.

Thanks again!

This should help:

http://www.math.lsu.edu/~lither/7510fall06/answers.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
A very good and concise introduction is in "Mathematical Physics" by Robert Geroch.

Related to Topology Math GRE Prep | Best Book Intro Guide

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of geometric objects that remain unchanged under continuous transformations, such as stretching, bending, twisting, and shrinking. It studies the relationships between different spaces and their properties, without the use of measurement or coordinates.

2. How is topology related to the GRE math section?

Topology is an important concept in the GRE math section, particularly in the geometry and measurement category. Understanding topology can help you solve questions related to geometric transformations, spatial relationships, and symmetry.

3. What are the key topics covered in "Topology Math GRE Prep"?

The book covers key topics such as topological spaces, continuous functions, connectedness, compactness, and metric spaces. It also includes practice questions and strategies for solving topology-related problems in the GRE math section.

4. Can "Topology Math GRE Prep" help me improve my GRE math score?

Yes, "Topology Math GRE Prep" is designed to help you improve your understanding of topology and its applications in the GRE math section. It provides comprehensive coverage of key topics and includes practice questions to help you apply your knowledge and improve your score.

5. Is "Topology Math GRE Prep" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Topology Math GRE Prep" is suitable for beginners. It starts with the basics of topology and gradually builds upon concepts and techniques to help you develop a strong understanding of the subject. It is also useful for those with some prior knowledge of topology who want to refresh and strengthen their skills for the GRE math section.