Topology: Subset of A Continuous Function

In summary: So you have to be careful when dealing with relative notions like this.In summary, the set S={f(c):0<c<1} is connected and bounded, but not necessarily open. This is because a subset of a topological space is connected if the only two subsets of it that are both open and closed are the subset itself and the null set. In this case, S is a subset of the real numbers, and the real numbers can be a topological space if you include a distance formula. However, this does not necessarily mean that S is open, as connectedness does not imply openness. A simple counterexample of a connected but not open set is [0,1]. Additionally, [0,1] is both open
darkchild

Homework Statement

Let [tex]f[/tex] be a real-valued function defined and continuous on the set of real numbers. Which of the following must be true of the set [tex]S={f(c):0<c<1}?[/tex]

I. S is a connected subset of the real numbers.
II. S is an open subset of the real numbers.
III. S is a bounded subset of the real numbers.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is I and III only. I'm confused because I thought that I. implied II. Isn't a connected set necessarily open?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would a connected set necessarily be open? [0,1] is connected but not open.

Not at all! Connectedness does not imply open. A simple counterexample is [0,1], this is connected but not open.

Hmm...well, my textbook defines a subset of a topological space as connected if it's simultaneously relatively open and relatively closed. I thought this applied to S since it is a subset of the real numbers and the real numbers could be a topological space if you include a distance formula...

Do sets and topological spaces have different criteria for being open/closed/etc.?

How does your textbook define relatively open/closed?

darkchild said:
Hmm...well, my textbook defines a subset of a topological space as connected if it's simultaneously relatively open and relatively closed. I thought this applied to S since it is a subset of the real numbers and the real numbers could be a topological space if you include a distance formula...

What your book likely says is that a topological space is connected if and only if there are no non-trivial clopen subsets. You are considering S as a subset of [itex] \mathbb R[/itex] not as a topological space itself.

Also, [itex] \mathbb R [/itex] can be made a topological space regardless of whether there is a metric on it or not. The inclusion of metric imposes a particular topology (the one defined by the metric) but one does not need a distance function to define open sets. Indeed, there are some very curious topologies on [itex] \mathbb R [/itex] that are not induced via metrics.

micromass said:
How does your textbook define relatively open/closed?

It says that an open subset of a subspace of a topological space is relatively open.

What your book likely says is that a topological space is connected if and only if there are no non-trivial clopen subsets. You are considering S as a subset of LaTeX Code: \\mathbb R not as a topological space itself.

There's a definition of connectedness for both topological spaces and subsets of topological spaces. Both definitions state: A topological space (or a subset of one) is connected if the only two subsets of it that are both open (relatively) and closed (relatively) are the topological space (or subset) itself and the null set.

Also, LaTeX Code: \\mathbb R can be made a topological space regardless of whether there is a metric on it or not.

Right, I had metric spaces and topological spaces mixed up in my mind when I wrote that.

Right. It may not be obvious but your books definition of connected is the same as mine. Consider the classical example of the set
[tex] [0,1] \cup [2,3] [/tex]
This set is not connected, right? It's pretty obvious when you look at it as being the union of disjoint sets, but let's take a look at it from a clopen (closed and open) point of view.

Consider [itex] X =[0,1] \cup [2,3] [/itex] as a topological space itself, under the subspace topology it inherits from [itex] \mathbb R [/itex]. In particular, our normal idea of closed and open intervals being closed and open sets is still true because it's true in [itex] \mathbb R[/itex]. But also notice that [0,1] is both closed and open in X (though it's not both closed and open in [itex] \mathbb R[/itex]). Why is this true? Well, [0,1] is closed in [itex] \mathbb R [/itex] so it's closed in X as a subspace of [itex] \mathbb R[/itex]. Additionally,
[tex] X\setminus_{[0,1]} = [2,3] [/tex]
That is, its relative complement in X is closed. By definition, a set is open if its complement is closed and so [0,1] is also open!

Thus [0,1] is both open and closed, and is a proper subset of X. So X has a proper, non-trivial clopen subset and hence is not connected.

Edit: The thing to take away from this is that [0,1] is both open and closed as a subset of X, but NOT as a subset of [itex] \mathbb R [/itex]!

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that remain unchanged under continuous transformations. It is concerned with the study of topological spaces, which are sets equipped with a structure that allows for the definition of concepts such as continuity, convergence, and connectedness.

2. What is a subset in topology?

In topology, a subset is a collection of elements from a larger set, which retains the same topological properties as the larger set. This means that any open sets in the larger set will also be open in the subset, and any continuous functions on the larger set will also be continuous on the subset.

3. What is a continuous function in topology?

A continuous function in topology is a function between two topological spaces that preserves the topological structure. This means that small changes in the input of the function will result in small changes in the output, and that the pre-image of an open set in the output will always be an open set in the input.

4. How is a subset of a continuous function defined?

A subset of a continuous function is defined as a subset of the domain of the function, which retains the same topological properties as the entire domain. This means that the function is still continuous when restricted to the subset.

5. What is the importance of studying subset of a continuous function in topology?

Studying subset of a continuous function in topology allows for a better understanding of the behavior of functions on different subsets of their domain. It also helps in analyzing the properties of topological spaces and their subsets, and in proving important theorems in topology such as the intermediate value theorem and the Brouwer fixed point theorem.