Torque about the axle of a rotating disk

In summary, the problem involves a disk rotating on an axle and the given forces F1=18.1 N, F2=26.6 N, F3=26.6 N, F4=18.1 N, and d=4.64 cm. The question is asking for the net torque about the axle. It is unclear which direction each force is acting in, but it is known that forces acting parallel to the axis of rotation do not produce torque. To determine which force components produce torque, the vector form of the torque equation should be used. A visual representation of the forces acting on the disk would also be helpful in determining this.
kathyt.25

Homework Statement

"The 19.8 cm diameter disk rotates on an axle through its center. F1=18.1 N, F2=26.6 N, F3=26.6 N, F4=18.1 N, and d=4.64 cm. What is the net torque about the axle? "

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/kathy_felldown/kn-pic1314.png

I have two questions about this problem:
(1) How do I know whether each force results in a negative or positive torque? I know that the torque conventions are positive if counterclockwise, and negative if clockwise, but the problem doesn't indicate the directions of the forces.
(2) Which forces result in no torque? I learned that if a force is parallel or acting on the axis (in this case, there are no forces acting directly on the axis), that force doesn't produce any torque. How do I denote which force is acting parallel to the axis, since its a disk?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Forces acting parallel to the axis don't produce torque?

Homework Statement

I learned that if a force is acting parallel, or acting on the axis of rotation, it doesn't produce torque. If a force is acting at an angle to the axis, does that mean that only ONE component of that force (ie. the y or x component) actually produces torque?

How do I know which one is the force component that doesn't produce torque, if it's not a straightforward situation like an opening door, and instead, a more ambiguous situation like a rotating disk?

Homework Equations

kathyt.25 said:

Homework Statement

I learned that if a force is acting parallel, or acting on the axis of rotation, it doesn't produce torque. If a force is acting at an angle to the axis, does that mean that only ONE component of that force (ie. the y or x component) actually produces torque?

How do I know which one is the force component that doesn't produce torque, if it's not a straightforward situation like an opening door, and instead, a more ambiguous situation like a rotating disk?

Homework Equations

That's why you use the vector form of the equation for calculating the torque. Can you show us that vector equation?

Torque = ??

(I merged your two threads asking a common question)

Also, we would need to see the drawing from the problem to help you with the question on which forces do what.

1. What is torque about the axle of a rotating disk?

Torque about the axle of a rotating disk is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In simpler terms, it is the twisting or turning force applied to a rotating disk.

2. How is torque calculated for a rotating disk?

To calculate torque about the axle of a rotating disk, you need to know the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation to where the force is applied, and the angle between the force and the direction of rotation. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance x sin(angle).

3. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. How does the mass and distribution of mass affect torque on a rotating disk?

The mass of an object does not directly affect torque, but the distribution of mass does. Objects with a greater mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a greater torque compared to objects with the same mass distributed closer to the axis.

5. Can torque change while a rotating disk is in motion?

Yes, torque can change while a rotating disk is in motion. This can occur if the force or distance from the axis changes, or if the angle between the force and direction of rotation changes. This change in torque can also cause a change in the rotational speed or direction of the disk.