1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and center of mass question

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    We have a block of un-uniform density of mass m suspended by two massless wires, against gravity. The left wire makes an angle phi_1while the right angle makes an angle phi_2. The block has length L. They want me to find the center of mass.
    THis is what ive done:
    We have tension in the wires. Torque is force measured from a distance. In our case, the two wires create a torque about the center of mass. I find the forces,
    F_1 = sin(phi_1)*m*g
    F_2 = sin(phi_2)*m*g
    And realize that the torques are
    t_1 = F_1*x_c_m;
    t_2 = F_2*(L - x_c_m)
    since they equal another (net torque is zero), i set them t_1 = t_2 and solve for x. However the answer is incorrect and I am told to check my trignometry. My answer is
    x = (L sin(phi_2)) / (sin(phi_1)+sin(phi_2))

whatever am i doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2005 #2
    Where do you put your fulcrum?
  4. Nov 28, 2005 #3
    my fulcrum is x_cm, or the center of mass of the block from the left side.
  5. Nov 28, 2005 #4
    One question... are the wires attached to the ends of the block, you were not clear on that...
  6. Nov 28, 2005 #5
    yes they are. the wire making an angle phi_1 is on the left side and the wire making an angle phi_2 is on the right side.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?