Torque and Force question -- Multipe forces acting on an object

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a resultant vector and two forces acting in either parallel or antiparallel directions. The speaker points out a contradiction in the given information and asks for clarification on the problem statement. They also suggest that the solution may have been affected by a misunderstanding of the terminology used.
shivam2571
Homework Statement
The resultant of two unlike parallel forces is10N and acts at a distance of 35cm and 45cm from them. The forces are:
Relevant Equations
F1.d1=F2.d2 (d is perpendicular distance of Axis of rotation to line of action)
F1-F2=10 (since forces are unlike and parallel)
I have attempted and got 2 different solution
1:
1st.jpg

2:
2nd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome! :cool:
What about the moments?
Is there equilibrium of moments in the system?

There seems to be a contradiction in what you posted. The resultant is the vector sum of two forces. If the forces are parallel, the resultant is the sum of the magnitudes. You use the difference of the magnitudes to denote the resultant. That to be correct if the forces are antiparallel, i.e. point in opposite directions. Which is it, parallel or antiparallel?

Better yet, please post the problem statement exactly as was given to you.

kuruman said:
There seems to be a contradiction in what you posted. The resultant is the vector sum of two forces. If the forces are parallel, the resultant is the sum of the magnitudes. You use the difference of the magnitudes to denote the resultant. That to be correct if the forces are antiparallel, i.e. point in opposite directions. Which is it, parallel or antiparallel?

Better yet, please post the problem statement exactly as was given to you.
I think the OP is using "unlike" to mean opposite directions.

shivam2571 said:
I have attempted and got 2 different solution
1:

2:
In your second solution, your force balance equation assumes the resultant acts in the same direction as as F1, but your torque balance equation assumes it acts in the same direction as F2.
The diagram places the resultant between the two forces. If that were so, taking moments about a point in its line could not produce zero. Had you been consistent in your two equations, I expect you would have got a negative value for one of the forces.

haruspex said:
I think the OP is using "unlike" to mean opposite directions.
I took to mean unequal but I can see the interpretation with a hyphen as in unlike-parallel. In any case without a clear statement of the problem as given to OP, one can only guess what it could be. It looks like quite a bit has been lost in translation.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do multiple forces affect an object's motion?

When multiple forces act on an object, they can either cancel each other out or combine to produce a net force. This net force will determine the object's acceleration and ultimately its motion.

3. Can multiple forces acting on an object cause it to be at rest?

Yes, if the forces acting on an object are balanced and cancel each other out, the object will remain at rest. This is known as static equilibrium.

4. How does the direction of forces affect an object's motion?

The direction of forces can determine the direction of an object's motion. If the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, they will cancel each other out and the object will not move. If the forces are in the same direction, they will combine to produce a greater net force and the object will accelerate in that direction.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This occurs when the force applied is in the opposite direction of the motion or rotation of the object. It is important to consider the direction of torque when calculating its effects on an object.