1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and frictional force

Tags:
  1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the picture

2. Relevant equations
    Torque = I * Alpha 10951894_10200266867310554_1551086073_n.jpg
    Alpha = a / r
    Fnet = m*a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I provided my work in the pictures. I figured out that the frictional force in system B is greater than in system A. I am not sure how to compare this with the frictional force from system C. I figured out the sum if the frictional forces of A and B are equal to mg sin theta, but don't know how the two compare.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Answers to (a) and (b) look good to me. According to (b), objects B and C have the same net force. Look at your free body diagrams for objects B and C. If you add the forces in the diagram for B do you get the same net force as the diagram for C?

What should be the direction of the friction force on C to make it rotate in the right direction for rolling down the plane?

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3
    So Friction force on C is pointing up the ramp and its magnitude is equal to friction force on B? The frictional force on C is kinetic not static correct?

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the only way Fnet,B can equal Fnet,C.

To answer this, remember that the statement of the problem says that C rolls without slipping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted