1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque due to electromagnetic induction

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circular coil of radius r carries a current I. A magnetic induction B acts at right angles to a diameter of the coil. Show that the current experiences a torque T about the diameter given by T=Iπ[itex]r^{2}[/itex]Bsinω, where ω is the angle between the normal to the plane of the coil and the induction B.

2. Relevant equations

F=∫IdlxB

3. The attempt at a solution

T=Fr/2=Ir/2∫dlxB
    Taking the modulus of both sides, T=Ir/2∫Bdlcos(ω)=IrBlcos(ω)/2=Iπ[itex]r^{2}[/itex]Bcosω
    I suspect the step where I take the modulus of the inside of the integral is wrong, but I'm not sure why.

More generally, I'm unsure how to calculate a cross product such as dlxB around a circle. The modulus of this is Bdlsin(θ), but what is the angle θ?

Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's easier if you let ω = π/2 at first. So draw the circular loop in the x-y plane with center at the origin and radius = R. Draw a diameter along the x axis. What direction is the B field in? Call θ the angle between the x axis and a point on the loop in the 1st quadrant.

Then use d F= I d l x B to get the force on the loop in the direction you're looking for. Remember, they're asking for torque about the diameter, so you're looking for the component of d F = dF in the appropriate direction.

Now you have dF about the diameter as a function of θ. Now, given dF, what is torque d τ about the diameter? Watch out , this is tricky - the torque is about the diameter, not the origin, so don't just use dτ = R * dF.

Then integrate dτ from θ = 0 to π/2 and multiply by 4 since there are 4 quadrants.

Finally, include the effect of ω not being π/2 but any angle 0 < ω < π/2. This is a tilt angle about the diameter.

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3
    Thanks so much for your help. I'll try the method you suggested now. :thumbup:

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4
    Hi. I'm trying to use the method above but I'm having some problems.
    dT=rcosθdF, and T=4∫dT between 0 and π/2. But I don't know how to write dF as a function of dθ.
    How do I use the expression dF=I dl x B to find dF?

Thanks so much!

6. Mar 29, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't start figuring torque. Start with force.

Did you draw the diagram I suggested? Let's take two points on the loop, one at (R,0) the other at (0,R). What is dl x B as a function of R and dθ for those two locations? Remember, B points in the j direction if you let ω = π/2 for the time being.

7. Mar 29, 2013 #6
    This is the point I don't understand. Since dl and B are perpendicular, dl x B = B dl, but that's not a function of theta...

8. Mar 29, 2013 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

d l and B are not perpendicular at (R,0) which would correspond to θ = 0 if you drew my diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted