Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction

In summary: Okay so...emf= -N A cos 0 (change in B/change in t)=-139 turns*(0.01035 m^2)*1*(0.952 T/S)=-1.3696 VI=E/R=-1.3696 V/ 0.502 ohm=-2.728B=N*(4pi*10^-7)*I/2R-this is the equation for the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of a flat circular loop consisting of N turns, each of radius R.=139*(4pi*10^-7)*-2.728/2*
acidandroid

Homework Statement

A flat circular coil with 139 turns, a radius of 5.74 x 10-2 m, and a resistance of 0.502 Ω is exposed to an external magnetic field that is directed perpendicular to the plane of the coil. The magnitude of the external magnetic field is changing at a rate of ΔB/Δt = 0.952 T/s, thereby inducing a current in the coil. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the coil that is produced by the induced current.

Homework Equations

Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic induction:
emf = -N(delta feta/delta time)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the emf according to the Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic induction as 1.3696 V. But I do not know how to derive the magnetic field at the center of the coil, and I do not understand why resistance is given in this problem.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
acidandroid said:

Homework Statement

A flat circular coil with 139 turns, a radius of 5.74 x 10-2 m, and a resistance of 0.502 Ω is exposed to an external magnetic field that is directed perpendicular to the plane of the coil. The magnitude of the external magnetic field is changing at a rate of ΔB/Δt = 0.952 T/s, thereby inducing a current in the coil. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the coil that is produced by the induced current.

Homework Equations

Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic induction:
emf = -N(delta feta/delta time)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the emf according to the Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic induction as 1.3696 V. But I do not know how to derive the magnetic field at the center of the coil, and I do not understand why resistance is given in this problem.

Please help!

The emf plus the resistance in the wire produce a finite current that you can calculate, right?

Does this current produce a magnetic field?

So I did I=E/R to calculate current, then used B=(4pi*10^-7)*I/2*pi*r to get magnetic field but still it's different from the answer. :( I'm just stuck.

G01 said:
The emf plus the resistance in the wire produce a finite current that you can calculate, right?

Does this current produce a magnetic field?

acidandroid said:
So I did I=E/R to calculate current, then used B=(4pi*10^-7)*I/2*pi*r to get magnetic field but still it's different from the answer. :( I'm just stuck.

That's the right idea.

I can't help find a mistake if I can't see your work. Please post your calculation.

Okay so...

emf= -N A cos 0 (change in B/change in t)
=-139 turns*(0.01035 m^2)*1*(0.952 T/S)
=-1.3696 V

I=E/R
=-1.3696 V/ 0.502 ohm
=-2.728

B=N*(4pi*10^-7)*I/2R
-this is the equation for the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of a flat circular loop consisting of N turns, each of radius R.
=139*(4pi*10^-7)*-2.728/2*(5.74*10^-2)
=-.00415 TStill a wrong answer. I don't know where to go from here.
G01 said:
That's the right idea.

I can't help find a mistake if I can't see your work. Please post your calculation.

Your work seems fine to me. How do you know the answer is wrong?

What is Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric current.

How does Faraday's law work?

Faraday's law states that when a conductor (such as a wire) is placed in a changing magnetic field, an electric current will be induced in the conductor. This is due to the movement of electrons in the conductor, which creates an electric current.

What is the mathematical equation for Faraday's law?

The mathematical equation for Faraday's law is:
ΔV = -N ΔB/Δt
where ΔV is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the coil, ΔB is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the change in time.

What are some real-life applications of Faraday's law?

Faraday's law has various real-life applications, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in devices such as induction cooktops and wireless charging pads.

What is the difference between Faraday's law and Lenz's law?

Faraday's law explains the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric current, while Lenz's law states that the direction of the induced current will oppose the change that caused it. In other words, Lenz's law is an extension of Faraday's law and helps to determine the direction of the induced current.