1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque Equation and Slope Intercept

1. Jun 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The four highlighted questions are the ones that I am having trouble with. Unfortunately, the second question in both sections builds upon the first so its hard to go any further but I would know how to solve the second part if I could create the equation. In the first procedure it asks to create an equation for the total torque. I understand it must be equal to zero but not the values that must go on the right side of it. I do know though how to solve for the values (which should be R and W), after the equation is created.
    The question was stated as "Use the forces of torque acting on the ruler about point B (when center of gravity is equal 4.) Then create an equation using Στ = 0 this should be labeled equation 3.
    The second question requests that the equation originally created (W*x=.1*(m*g)) be converted into y=mx.
    The question was stated as, "write the equation in y=mx."
    I attached 3 .jpg to show the work I have already done, as well as to provide a background of the nature of the question.

2. Relevant equations

y=mx
    ∑[itex]\tau[/itex]=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the first procedure it asks to create an equation for the total torque. I understand it must be equal to zero but not the values that must go on the right side of it. I do know though how to solve for the values (which should be R and W), after the equation is created.
    The second set of directions in procedure two ask to make the equation I had made in part one (W*x=.1*(m*g)) into y=mx. In the equation previously sated, I thought the x was the dependent variable and m was the independent variable, leaving W to be the part of the slope. I rearranged the equation several times and got the value of .42 as the answer which doesn't seem right according to the graph that corresponds to it. If I can get help on the equation portion the second two questions will be much easier to solve. Thank you for your time.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2014 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Question (vi) says..

"Take the torques of all the forces acting on the ruler about point B when GC=4".

A torque is a force multiplied by a distance, so perhaps start by making a list of forces and their distance from B?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted