1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque/rotational motion question

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person standing on tiptoe, the position of the foot is as shown. *The total gravitational force on the body Fg is supported by the force n exerted by the floor on the toes of one foot. A mechanical model for the situation is shown in Figure P10.70b (http://www.piercecollege.edu/faculty/meyermd/Physics 66/P66 Homework/Chapter 10 HW PDF.pdf Problem 70) where T is the force exerted by the Achilles tendon on the foot and R is the force exerted by the tibia on the foot. Find the values of T,R, and θ when Fg = 700N

2. Relevant equations
    torque(tau) = r x F (that's r cross F)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assumed that the Fg and the normal force cancel out from the 2nd line in the problem statement. I also tried moving the Fg to different positions, but the answers dont seem correct. Using hte [tex]\sum[/tex]of torques, whereas the axis of rotation is at the toes(normal force), i got torque = 0 = -.18 * R * sin(θ) + .25 * T, I dont think that's R sin(θ) because R is not the hypotenuse. I also tried assuming that θis 15 degrees, and that R was perpendicular to the Foot. Other than the sum of torques, I don't know what other formulas to use, or what kind of approach to take for this problem.
    Another method I used was to move the axis of rotation around, and use 4 equations for 4 unknowns, but that proved to be an incorrect method (the results didnt seem correct). I also think that the Fg = 700 N is supposed to come into the equation somewhere, and not cancel out with the normal force, but I have no idea what to do with that if it's not canceled. Can anyone help me with an approach I can take to solve this problem? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

the sin(theta) shouldn't be there. torque is the force times the perpendicular distance from the pivot to the line of the force... you had the T part right. so it should be:

that's one equation.

you get 2 more equations by setting sum of forces in x-direction = 0 and sum of forces in y-direction = 0.
  4. Nov 9, 2007 #3

Thanks for the help, can't believe i forgot the basics of sum of the forces lol
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?