Torque: Two pulleys wheels connected by a belt

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque on wheel P and pulley Q, and the correct use of radius and diameter in torque calculations. It also mentions the tension force of the upper portion of the string acting on pulley Q and the concept of net torque being zero when the motor torque is opposed by the tension force. The conversation also briefly touches upon the difference between torque and moments.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Ok, so first I find the tension on the top portion of the belt..
3.0=T(100/1000) , T-> tension
T=30N , though I'm not sure if taking the diameter of Q is correct.
Then I find the torques on wheel P, which I multiply the tension with the radius (150/2 mm) which I get 4.5 Nm. But the correct answer is D.
Judging by the correct answer, I assume that they used the radius of Q to find tension, not diameter.. But why radius? I thought torque is force multiply perpendicular distance separating the two forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
But why radius? I thought torque is force multiply perpendicular distance separating the two forces?
So which are the two forces you are thinking of here? Which forces will be acting on the pulley Q?

In general, you can compute the torque around any point. Some points are just more convenient than others.

Orodruin said:
So which are the two forces you are thinking of here? Which forces will be acting on the pulley Q?

In general, you can compute the torque around any point. Some points are just more convenient than others.
Tension force of upper part of string on Q and P. Only the tension force of the top portion of the string is acting on pulley Q.

Janiceleong26 said:
Only the tension force of the top portion of the string is acting on pulley Q.

If this was true, the pulley would be accelerating.

Orodruin said:
If this was true, the pulley would be accelerating.
Reaction force of pulley on string? I can't think of any other forces..since frictional force and weight force is negligible..

Janiceleong26 said:
Reaction force of pulley on string? I can't think of any other forces..since frictional force and weight force is negligible..
There is one force which you are not thinking about - probably because it does not give any torque around the point around which you are probably computing the torque ...

Orodruin said:
There is one force which you are not thinking about - probably because it does not give any torque around the point around which you are probably computing the torque ...
The weight of the pulley wheels ?

A priori, yes. But not what I was thinking about. Do not bother yourself too much, it is irrelevant when computing the torque. I only mention it because you started talking about separating two forces. This is not the definition of a torque. A torque is the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance to the point which you are considering the torque about. This distance is the radius, not the diameter (assuming you are considering the torque around the center of the pulley - otherwise the other forces do matter). You did this correctly for the pulley P where you used the radius. There is nothing different for Q.

Orodruin said:
A priori, yes. But not what I was thinking about. Do not bother yourself too much, it is irrelevant when computing the torque. I only mention it because you started talking about separating two forces. This is not the definition of a torque. A torque is the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance to the point which you are considering the torque about. This distance is the radius, not the diameter (assuming you are considering the torque around the center of the pulley - otherwise the other forces do matter). You did this correctly for the pulley P where you used the radius. There is nothing different for Q.
Ok, so if the bottom part of the string has tension, the torque would be the tension multiply by the diameter of the pulley, am I right? But since the string is slack at the bottom, we take the radius of the pulley (moments about the centre of the pulley)

Janiceleong26 said:
Ok, so if the bottom part of the string has tension, the torque would be the tension multiply by the diameter of the pulley, am I right? But since the string is slack at the bottom, we take the radius of the pulley (moments about the centre of the pulley)

No, if both strings would have tension their torques act in different directions, giving a net torque of zero.

Where do the 3.0 Nm torque on Q come from?
What is responsible for it.

andrevdh said:
Where do the 3.0 Nm torque on Q come from?
What is responsible for it.

The tension of the upper part of the string?

Orodruin said:
No, if both strings would have tension their torques act in different directions, giving a net torque of zero.
Oh right.. What is the difference between torque and moments?

Janiceleong26 said:
Oh right.. What is the difference between torque and moments?
A torque is by definition a force moment. A moment is a more general concept.

Likes Janiceleong26
Orodruin said:
A torque is by definition a force moment. A moment is a more general concept.
Thanks

No. Read the question carefully.

andrevdh said:
No. Read the question carefully.
The rotation of Q by the motor?

Yes. That is the torque supplied by the motor. It is opposed by the torque of the
tension in the belt. The sum of these torques must be zero. I think that is what
Orodruin was getting at. See if you can set such an equation up. It is very simple.
Not that difficult at all.

andrevdh said:
I think that is what
Orodruin was getting at.

Not really, this I took for granted. There is also a force from the axle on the pulley (or the pulley would have a linear acceleration), which is the additional force I was thinking of. It is irrelevant for the problem because you can always solve it taking the torque around the center of the pulley and the moment arm of this force is zero there. The only reason I mentioned it was that the OP started talking about the perpendicular distance between two forces.

andrevdh said:
Yes. That is the torque supplied by the motor. It is opposed by the torque of the
tension in the belt. The sum of these torques must be zero. I think that is what
Orodruin was getting at. See if you can set such an equation up. It is very simple.
Not that difficult at all.
Ok. Thank you!

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How is torque related to pulleys and belts?

In a system of two pulleys connected by a belt, torque is transferred from one pulley to the other through the belt. The amount of torque transferred is dependent on the radius of the pulleys and the tension in the belt.

How does the radius of the pulleys affect torque?

The larger the radius of the pulleys, the greater the torque that can be transferred. This is because a larger radius allows for a greater distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied, resulting in a larger torque value.

What is the role of tension in a belt in relation to torque?

Tension in the belt is necessary for torque to be transferred between the pulleys. If there is no tension in the belt, there will be no torque transfer and the system will not function properly.

How does friction affect torque in a pulley system?

Friction between the belt and the pulleys can reduce the amount of torque that is transferred. This is why it is important to ensure that the belt is properly tensioned and that the pulleys are well lubricated to reduce friction.