1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque with a pulley of radius R and mass M

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Blocks of mass m_1 and m_2 are connected by a massless string that passes over the pulley in the figure (Intro 1 figure) . The pulley turns on frictionless bearings, and mass m_1 slides on a horizontal, frictionless surface. Mass m_2 is released while the blocks are at rest.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1073792/5/12.P71.jpg

I figured out A and B.
    A. Assume the pulley is massless. Find the acceleration of m_1.
    a=(m2g)/(m2+m1)
    B. Find the tension in the string.
    T=m1(m2g/m2+m1)
    C. Suppose the pulley has mass m_p and radius R. Find the acceleration of m_1. Verify that your answers agree with part A if you set m_p=0.

D. Find the tension in the upper portion of the string. Verify that your answers agree with part B if you set m_p=0.

E.Find the tension in the lower portions of the string. Verify that your answers agree with part B if you set m_p=0.

2. Relevant equations
    torque=Fxd
    torque net=sum of all forces
    T1=m1a+m1g
    T2=m2a+m2g
    torque net=T1r-T2r=(-a/r)I

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the tensions change because of the mass and radius of the pulley, but I don't know what it does. I made a FBD, but I don't know what to do with my equations... I don't get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The weight acts vertically; just consider horizontal forces on m1. (Vertical forces cancel.)
    Assuming "a" is a positive number, it looks like you have the signs wrong.
    OK. But what's I for the pulley? (Maybe you can treat it like a uniform disk.)

Correct these equations and solve simultaneously.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook