Torsional Pendulumn- Inertia and Period

  • Thread starter Thread starter lc99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inertia Period
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
lc99
Messages
161
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Assume the balance wheel of a torisonal pendulumn is doubled in size but the torison constant of the spring remains the same. The density of the disk remains the same, but bot the radius and the thickness double. What happens to the period of the pendulumn?

a) Period doubles
b) period goes up by a factor of sqrt(2)
c) period goes up by factor of four
d) period goes up by factor of 4sqrt(2)
e) none of the other answers

Homework Equations


omega = sqrt(k/I)
k= torsional constant
I = 1/2MR^2
R is doubled and M is doubled (since thickness/size doubled)

The Attempt at a Solution


My answer is e) none of the answers because i calculated that the period actually goes down...
w = sqrt(k/I)
I = 1/2MR^2 = 1/2 (2M)(2R)^2 = 8 (1/2MR^2)

--> w = sqrt(k/(8*I)) = 1/ sqrt(8) * sqrt(k/I)
W = 2pi/T --> T = 2pi / (sqrtk/I)
--> 1/sqrt(8) T
the period went down by sqrt(8).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I read correctly that you think that omega AND T both go down by the same factor ?
 
BvU said:
Do I read correctly that you think that omega AND T both go down by the same factor ?
Oh man. I found my mistake! The period went up by sqrt(8). Omega went down by sqrt(8) . But, squrt(8) isn't any of the options? I must have calculated the moment of inertia incorrectly?
 
lc99 said:
Oh man. I made a mistake! The period went up by sqrt(8). Omega went down by sqrt(8) . But, squrt(8) isn't any of the options?
BvU said:
M doubles ?
BvU said:
M doubles ?
i thought so because the size/thickeness doubles
 
If the thickness doubles, the mass doubles.
If the radius doubles, the mass ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: lc99