1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Charge (Spheres and Potential)

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conducting sphere of radius a, at potential V0, is surrounded by a thin concentric spherical shell of radius b over which someone has glued a surface charge. sigma = kcos(theta) where k is a constant

i know V(r, theta) and induced surface charge on the conductor

2. Relevant equations

Q = integral (sigma) da

3. The attempt at a solution
    trying to use equation 1 but i'm not sure first off the limits on r for each

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

da is the infinitesimal area element of the surface...the entire surface is at r=b....what is your expression for da?

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    but what about the charge coming from the inner sphere at Vo my da is going to rdrdtheta

5. Oct 10, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

why is there a dr term in your da, isn't r constant over a spherical surface?

Are you trying to compute the total charge on the outer shell, or the conductor, or both?

6. Oct 10, 2008 #5
    trying to find the charge for both

7. Oct 10, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you'll have to compute the charge of each individually and then add them up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?