Total Displacement Vectors Help

In summary: I am getting -50.033 + 367.909In summary, the boat travels West a distance of 200m, then North 400m, and finally 100m South of East at 30 degrees. The net displacement of the boat is 367.909 meters with a direction of 50.033 degrees East of South.
Helmsy

Homework Statement

A boat travels West a distance of 200m, then North 400m, and finally 100m South of East at 30 degrees. What is the net displacement.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Many attempts none make sense...lol

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to draw a diagram of the different parts of the boat's travels, don't you think that would make this problem easier to solve?

Yes i have drawn a graph and i just can't figure out how to find the displacement. like i don't know how to even go about finding it

SteamKing said:
If you were to draw a diagram of the different parts of the boat's travels, don't you think that would make this problem easier to solve?

Like this? %^)

Attachments

• boat travel017.jpg
    boat travel017.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 660
ok so Rx= -150 and Ry= 486.6...what do i have to do now to get the net displacement. Thanks for the graphic BTW

Now try to find Ry

[tex]\vec{R_y}=\vec{V_{1y}}+\vec{V_{2y}}+\vec{V_{3y}}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{R_y}=0+400\hat{j}-100\sin{30}\;\hat{j}[/tex]

if the figure drawn by spinnor is correct then , in his equations, there should be
[itex]\cos{30}[/itex] in the equation for [itex]\vec{R_x}[/itex]

so the net displacement would be

[tex]\vec{R}=\vec{R_x}+\vec{R_y}[/tex]

where

[tex]\vec{R_x}=-200\hat{i}+100\cos{30}\;\hat{i}[/tex]

ok so if I did my math right the answer should be 336.603. Is that correct?

I don't know if you are asked to get the answer as a magnitude or a vector. for magnitude I am getting 367.909

1. What is a total displacement vector?

A total displacement vector is a vector that represents the overall change in position of an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by adding together individual displacement vectors.

2. How is a total displacement vector different from a displacement vector?

A displacement vector represents the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. A total displacement vector takes into account all the changes in position that occur during an object's motion, and represents the overall change in position.

3. How do you calculate a total displacement vector?

To calculate a total displacement vector, you need to first determine the individual displacement vectors for each segment of an object's motion. Then, you can use vector addition to add these displacement vectors together, taking into account their magnitude and direction.

4. What is the difference between a total displacement vector and a resultant vector?

A total displacement vector is a type of resultant vector, which is any vector that represents the combined effect of two or more other vectors. However, a total displacement vector specifically represents the overall change in position of an object, while other types of resultant vectors may represent different quantities such as force or velocity.

5. Why is it important to consider total displacement vectors?

Total displacement vectors are important because they provide a more accurate picture of an object's motion, taking into account all the changes in position that occur. This can be especially useful for analyzing complex or curved motion, as well as for calculating other quantities such as average velocity or acceleration.