Total power contained in 10.0[cos(160.7*pi*t)]^4 (Fourier Series)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the power contained in a periodic signal using the Fourier series. Different approaches are suggested and the calculations for one approach are provided in an attachment. The final answer for the power is 15/4 and the use of inverse Euler formula and trig identities are mentioned as possible methods for solving this problem.
Jd303

Homework Statement

Compute the power contained in the periodic signal x(t) = 10.0[cos(160.7*pi*t)]^4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys,
I have just started Fourier Series and am struggling with this one. Without writing all my calculations, -I start with inverse Euler formula.
-Then integrate x(t)*e^(-j*ω*k*t) with respect to t. From 0 to (To)
-Then consider the value of the final exponentials when k is an odd and even number.

However i calculate that the answer for ak for any value of k to be 15/4?

Once again I have only started Fourier recently so any direction would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work.

Another approach you might try is using trig identities to find the Fourier series.

Provided are my calculations in the attachment
-The function has already been converted using the inverse Euler formula
- σ is equal to 160.7*pi*t
- The fundamental frequency is 2*σ/(2*π)

-Anyway to calculate this equation is fine, inverse euler was just given as a suggestion to begin.

Attachments

• IMG_0166[1].jpg
    IMG_0166[1].jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 393

1. What is the meaning of the Fourier series in the given equation?

The Fourier series in this equation represents the decomposition of a periodic function into a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How is the total power contained in the Fourier series calculated?

The total power contained in the Fourier series is calculated by squaring the amplitude of each term and adding them together. In this equation, the amplitude of each term is 10.0.

3. How does the value of the coefficient (160.7*pi*t) affect the total power?

The value of the coefficient (160.7*pi*t) affects the frequency of the sine and cosine functions in the Fourier series. Higher frequencies result in a higher total power, while lower frequencies result in a lower total power.

4. Can the total power contained in the Fourier series be negative?

No, the total power contained in the Fourier series cannot be negative. Power is a measure of the energy in a system and cannot have a negative value.

5. How is the total power related to the energy of the system?

The total power contained in the Fourier series is directly proportional to the energy of the system. A higher total power indicates a greater amount of energy present in the system.