Total production function using Lagrange Multipliers

In summary, the conversation is about the correctness of a problem involving partial differentiation and the Lagrange multiplier equation. The person asking for help attaches their work and asks for confirmation, noting that the numbers seem strange compared to their teacher's usual problems. Another person points out a mistake in the original work and the poster asks for clarification. The mistake is corrected and the poster asks for confirmation once again.
s3a

Homework Statement

Attached as Question.jpg.

Homework Equations

Partial differentiation.
Lagrange multiplier equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached as MyWork.jpg.

Is my work correct? I'm still not confident with myself for these problems and it would be great if someone could confirm if I did this problem correctly and also, the values (or value since I can ignore the negative because it makes no sense in the problem) I get seem rather strange and, knowing my teacher, he usually gives problems with numbers that work out well and his notes also have nicely fitting numbers.

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 314
  • MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

Attached as Question.jpg.

Homework Equations

Partial differentiation.
Lagrange multiplier equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached as MyWork.jpg.

Is my work correct? I'm still not confident with myself for these problems and it would be great if someone could confirm if I did this problem correctly and also, the values (or value since I can ignore the negative because it makes no sense in the problem) I get seem rather strange and, knowing my teacher, he usually gives problems with numbers that work out well and his notes also have nicely fitting numbers.

You made a blunder: you started with
[tex] L = 12 x^{3/4}\, y^{1/4} + \lambda (100 x + 180 y - 25200) [/tex] and wrote
[tex] \partial L/\partial y = 12 x^{3/4}\, y^{-1/4} + 180 \lambda, [/tex]
which is incorrect.

RGV

Actually, I don't think so. (If that sounds rude, I don't intend to.)

Looking back at my work here, I see a coefficient of 3 and not 12 for L_y.

Could you tell me if I am right or wrong about this please?

s3a said:
Actually, I don't think so. (If that sounds rude, I don't intend to.)

Looking back at my work here, I see a coefficient of 3 and not 12 for L_y.

Could you tell me if I am right or wrong about this please?

You are wrong. Go back and look at what you wrote in the third line of your attachment.

RGV

I marked it in red to show what I am talking about in case we're mis-communicating. (It seems to be the third line too.)

Attachments

• MarkedUpWork.jpg
    MarkedUpWork.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 416
s3a said:
I marked it in red to show what I am talking about in case we're mis-communicating. (It seems to be the third line too.)

I was not referring to the "3"; I was referring to the [itex] y^{-1/4}.[/itex]

RGV

Yes, you have "3" correctly. However, your power of y is wrong. 1/4- 1 is not equal to -1/4.

Oh, yeah, oops. :shy:

Is the current attached work correct?

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 393

1. What is a total production function?

A total production function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between inputs and outputs in the production process. It shows how the amount of outputs produced is affected by the combination of inputs used.

2. What is the role of Lagrange Multipliers in the total production function?

Lagrange Multipliers are used in the total production function to find the optimal combination of inputs that will maximize output, subject to certain constraints such as limited resources or fixed costs.

3. How is the total production function calculated using Lagrange Multipliers?

The total production function is calculated by setting up an optimization problem using the Lagrange Multiplier method. This involves finding the partial derivatives of the production function and the constraint function, setting them equal to each other, and solving for the optimal values of the inputs.

4. What are the assumptions made in using the total production function with Lagrange Multipliers?

Some of the assumptions made when using the total production function with Lagrange Multipliers include constant returns to scale, perfect competition, and the ability to substitute inputs in the production process.

5. Can the total production function using Lagrange Multipliers be applied to all industries?

The total production function using Lagrange Multipliers can be applied to most industries, but it may not be suitable for all types of production processes. It works best for industries with well-defined inputs and outputs, and where the production function is relatively smooth and continuous.