Total volumetric charge distribution of the universe

In summary, the problem asks to calculate the total charge of the universe using the equation ρv=ΔQ/ΔV and the integral ℚ=∫v ρv dxdydz. The shape of the universe is assumed to be spherical, so the limits of the integral are set as r=0 to ∞, θ=0 to 2π, and φ=0 to π. The result is 6.28[C].
Zee Prime
Greetings! I'm new here and I think about this place as soon as I see what the statement asks.

Homework Statement

Considering the volumetric density ρv=(e-2r/r2), figure the total charge (ℚ) of the universe.

Homework Equations

[/B]
ρv=ΔQ/ΔV -> (ΔQ ∝ ΔV)
ℚ=∫v ρv dxdydz

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you can figure it out ℚ when you've a pack of coordinates (bounds of the volume) in which you can calculate the total charge if you find some kind of symetry or not (i.e: cilindric, spherical coordinates and so on); but my mind just stacked overflow when the book asks the total charge of the universe... I wonder what system of coordinates and values should I use for the triple integral?

I've read that the shape of the universe —or known one— is flat; but I'm pretty sure I haven't the proper knowledge and mathematical understanding to realize that; so I assume for early problems, the shape is spherical, so I would use the following:

ℚ=∫vρv dv = ∫∫∫ρvr2Sin(Φ) drdΦdΘ

Jacobian Determinant.

I've found this problem at the second chapter of the book Electromagnetic Theory - Hayt. I'd appreciate some help with this problem. Thank you for your attention and keep this pantheon of physics alive! Congrats on this forum. :woot:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've set it up properly. Go ahead and put limits on the integrals and evaluate them.

Likes Zee Prime
phyzguy said:
I think you've set it up properly. Go ahead and put limits on the integrals and evaluate them.

But buddy, how would you put the limits of a spherical-universe (some rate of change?) The book suggest 6.28[C] as a result.

Ty for reply! :oldbiggrin:

Zee Prime said:
But buddy, how would you put the limits of a spherical-universe (some rate of change?) The book suggest 6.28[C] as a result.
Ty for reply! :oldbiggrin:

Well, r will go from 0 to ∞. What about θ and φ?

1. What is the total volumetric charge distribution of the universe?

The total volumetric charge distribution of the universe refers to the overall distribution and amount of electric charge present in the entire observable universe. This includes not only the visible matter, but also dark matter and dark energy.

2. How is the total volumetric charge distribution of the universe measured?

Currently, there is no known way to directly measure the total volumetric charge distribution of the universe. However, scientists use mathematical models and observational data from telescopes and other instruments to estimate and study the distribution of electric charge in different regions of the universe.

3. What is the role of electric charge in the universe?

Electric charge is one of the fundamental properties of matter and plays a crucial role in many physical processes and phenomena in the universe. It is responsible for electromagnetic interactions, which govern the behavior of particles and objects at the atomic and cosmic scale.

4. How does the total volumetric charge distribution affect the evolution of the universe?

The exact impact of the total volumetric charge distribution on the evolution of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research and debate. However, it is believed that the distribution of electric charge may affect the expansion and structure formation of the universe through its influence on electromagnetic forces.

5. Can the total volumetric charge distribution of the universe change over time?

As the universe continues to evolve and expand, the total volumetric charge distribution may also change. This could be due to various processes such as the creation or annihilation of particles, as well as the movement and interaction of charged particles. However, the overall charge of the universe is thought to be conserved.