1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total volumetric charge distribution of the universe

1. Aug 30, 2017 #1
    Greetings! I'm new here and I think about this place as soon as I see what the statement asks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Considering the volumetric density ρv=(e-2r/r2), figure the total charge (ℚ) of the universe.

2. Relevant equations

ρv=ΔQ/ΔV -> (ΔQ ∝ ΔV)
    ℚ=∫v ρv dxdydz

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know you can figure it out ℚ when you've a pack of coordinates (bounds of the volume) in which you can calculate the total charge if you find some kind of symetry or not (i.e: cilindric, spherical coordinates and so on); but my mind just stacked overflow when the book asks the total charge of the universe... I wonder what system of coordinates and values should I use for the triple integral?

I've read that the shape of the universe —or known one— is flat; but I'm pretty sure I haven't the proper knowledge and mathematical understanding to realize that; so I assume for early problems, the shape is spherical, so I would use the following:

ℚ=∫vρv dv = ∫∫∫ρvr2Sin(Φ) drdΦdΘ

Jacobian Determinant.

I've found this problem at the second chapter of the book Electromagnetic Theory - Hayt. I'd appreciate some help with this problem. Thank you for your attention and keep this pantheon of physics alive! Congrats on this forum. :woot:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2017 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I think you've set it up properly. Go ahead and put limits on the integrals and evaluate them.

4. Aug 30, 2017 #3
    But buddy, how would you put the limits of a spherical-universe (some rate of change?) The book suggest 6.28[C] as a result.

Ty for reply! :oldbiggrin:

5. Aug 30, 2017 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Well, r will go from 0 to ∞. What about θ and φ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted