Expressing surface charge density as volume charge density

In summary, integrating over a small volume containing an area element will show that the charge density decreases as radius increases.
Mictlantecuhtli
I'm working on this: When I consider a disc with radius ##a## and total charge ##Q## uniformly distributed (placed in the XY plane and centered at the origin) and determine the volume charge density in cylindrical coordinates, I have assumed is of the form ##\rho=A \delta (z) U(R-r)##, (##U## is the unit step function) and obtained just what I expected $$\rho=\frac{Q}{\pi R^2} \delta (z) U(R-r)$$
The problem arise when I try to solve this problem in spherical coordinates because my first assumption was ##\rho=A \delta (\theta-\pi/2) U(R-r)## (note that here ##r## is not the same as in the previous paragraph) but some people include the scale factor corresponding to each variable appearing in each Dirac delta; in this case $$\rho=A \frac {\delta (\theta-\pi/2)}{r} U(R-r)$$
What's the reason for including such factor? Is there any mathematical result that support this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you do not include the r you do not get a uniform charge distribution. Also note that ##\delta(\theta-\pi/2)## would not have the correct physical dimension for ##A## to be a surface charge density.

Likes Mictlantecuhtli
Orodruin said:
If you do not include the r you do not get a uniform charge distribution. Also note that ##\delta(\theta-\pi/2)## would not have the correct physical dimension for ##A## to be a surface charge density.
That's what makes me confused. If I include the scale factor ##r## I get ##\rho\propto 1/r ##, how could it be a uniform charge distribution if density decreases as radius increases?

Mictlantecuhtli said:
That's what makes me confused. If I include the scale factor ##r## I get ##\rho\propto 1/r ##, how could it be a uniform charge distribution if density decreases as radius increases?
No you don't. If you do not include it you get a density that increases with radius and has the wrong dimensions. I suggest you check it by integrating over a small volume containing an area element.

Note that ##\delta(z) = \delta(r\cos(\theta)) = \delta(\cos(\theta))/r = \delta(\theta-\pi/2)/r##.

Likes Mictlantecuhtli
Finally I can see it, the last relation is so clear... Thanks a lot.

1. What is the difference between surface charge density and volume charge density?

Surface charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit area on the surface of a material, while volume charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit volume within a material.

2. How do you express surface charge density as volume charge density?

To express surface charge density as volume charge density, you can use the formula: volume charge density = surface charge density / thickness. This formula takes into account the thickness of the material, as well as the surface charge density.

3. What units are used to measure surface charge density and volume charge density?

Surface charge density is typically measured in coulombs per square meter (C/m²), while volume charge density is measured in coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).

4. Why is it important to express surface charge density as volume charge density?

Expressing surface charge density as volume charge density allows for a more accurate representation of the distribution of electric charge within a material. It takes into account the thickness of the material, which can significantly affect the overall charge density.

5. Can volume charge density change over time?

Yes, volume charge density can change over time. This can happen due to various factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, or the addition or removal of electric charges within the material.