1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trajectory of a turning particle

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    In this problem, I need to find the trajectory of a particle (as a function of time) which moves at a speed 's' but also turns at an increasing rate; angular acceleration α. The trajectory looks like a spiral which converges to a point.

The particle has an initial position vector p and a velocity vector v. So without an angular velocity or 'turning effect' the particle should simply trace out the path "p(t) = ∫ v dt", however the particle has an angular acceleration which means that the velocity vector is rotated at the rate α, therefore vnew = R(Δθ) vold (R(θ) is the rotation matrix to rotate a 2d vector θ degrees).

I'm looking at this problem in a 2d sense.

An example of this would be a car that is travelling a constant speed but the driver starts turning the wheel at a constant rate so that the car turns sharper and sharper.

I've tried tackling this problem by expressing the velocity vector and angular velocity as a complex numbers and integrating their product, as well as trying a method using the rotation matrix, but on both occasions I'm stuck with 'dt's' inside trigonometric functions while integrating.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Let ##\hat k## be the unit vector orthogonal to the plane of motion. Can you write a vector equation that relates ##\dot {\vec v}## to ##\vec v##, ##\hat k## and some scalar function ##\alpha(t)##? Done correctly, it will entail the information that the speed is constant.

4. Feb 20, 2015 #3
    Thanks for responding, but I don't really grasp your idea with my limited knowledge of vector calculus. Wouldn't adding a perpendicular component cause the speed to grow unboundedly? To me, it doesn't seem to be a true rotation. I might be completely off track, so if someone could provide me with a semi-detailed derivation or point to a similar problem, that would be a life saver.

5. Feb 20, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you want the particle to turn there has to be a perpendicular component. If you want the speed constant, there can only be a perpendicular acceleration. If it is a constant magnitude acceleration the particle will move in a circle, but you wanted a spiral, so it has to vary. (I did not suggest it should increase without limit.)

6. Feb 20, 2015 #5
    Ah yes I understand that now. With some working out I end up with the equation:
    Δp/Δt = s##\hat v## + ##\frac{1}{2}## srt2##\hat k ##

v is the direction of the velocity, s is the speed of the movement and r is the angular acceleration.

Now, I have absolutely no idea to integrate this to get an expression for p.

7. Feb 20, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I defined ##\hat k ## as orthogonal to the plane of motion. The lateral acceleration is therefore orthogonal to that. Since you want constant speed, we have ##|\vec v|^2=\vec v.\vec v## constant. What do you get if you differentiate that that? Can you then see how to write ##\dot {\vec v}## in terms of ##\vec v## and ##\hat k## ?

8. Feb 21, 2015 #7
    Hmmm. Differentiating ##|\vec v|^2=\vec v.\vec v## only seems to prove the result ##\dot {\vec v} .\vec v = 0## which gives me the idea that I should completely replace the ##\hat k## component with ##\dot {\vec v}##. But still I haven't been able find the magnitude.

I believe I'm lacking some essential knowledge in vector calculus to be able to solve this. So putting this as mathematically as I can, the problem describes 4 equations I really don't know how to put together to find p(t):
    ##\vec p (t) = \int_0^t \! \vec v (t) \, \mathrm{d}t + p_{initial}##
    ##\vec v (t) = \int_0^t \! \ \dot{\vec v} (t) \, \mathrm{d}t + v_{initial}##
    ##\dot {\vec v} \cdot \vec v = 0##
    ##| \dot {\vec v} (t) | = \alpha (t) | \vec v (t) | ##

9. Feb 21, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\dot {\vec v} .\vec v = 0## tells you that those two vectors are orthogonal. ##\dot {\vec v} ## is also orthogonal to ##\hat k##. If a vector is known to be orthogonal to two others, how can you write it as a scalar multiple of a certain function of those two vectors?

10. Feb 21, 2015 #9
    So ##\vec v = \alpha (t) \vec v \times \hat k ##?

11. Feb 25, 2015 #10
    It's been a few days and I still have no idea. Could anyone atleast show me what topics to look into to solve this problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook