1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transcendental numbers: interesting perspectives

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm presenting a proof that e is transcendental, but I want to spice up the presentation a bit by exploring some interesting perspectives, such as connections to topology, abstract algebra etc. I've already selected the Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem as a possible candidate. Can you suggest some other avenues? This is a first-year UG class, so the concepts used cannot be so technical as to be unexplainable in a timeframe of an hour. Thanks!

Molu

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Something that's stuck with me for a long time is this equation:
    [itex]e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0[/itex]
    In it appear five of the most important symbols in mathematics. It might strike some of them as very odd that e and [itex]\pi[/itex] cannot be represented with a finite number of decimal digits, and that i is as unreal as a number can get, yet all three combine to make -1.

Maybe some of the less jaded among these students will appreciate this.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    Ok, we could talk about that, but that's rather too basic for a 2nd sem undergrad class. Most of the students have already encountered that material in high-school, they would appreciate something slightly more challenging.

5. Jan 26, 2009 #4
    Anything else?

6. Jan 26, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Liouville numbers (the first historic transcendentals), irrationality measures? Why does e have irrational measure 2 like algebraic numbers? Continued fraction expansions? Stuff like that?

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6
    Ah, that's what I was looking for. Though irrationality measure seems a very difficult thing to wrap your mind around, so I don't know if we can effectively explain that in a short time period, but let's see. Incidentally, is there any particularly intuitive reason for e having the irrationality measure 2? Thanks.

8. Jan 28, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. Feb 14, 2009 #8
    Any possible connections with complex analysis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?