Transfer from University of Toronto to UWaterloo?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Steven Patton
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    University
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 17K views
Steven Patton said:
Indeed, I will have to decide on program. Academic questions aside, though, could I ask some questions regarding the student body at Waterloo? Are the people mostly amiable? There is...how shall we say, a touch of indifference among many of the students here. I attribute that to several things, including poor english skills, poor social skills, and sleep deprivation from all-night studying. Regardless, the atmosphere here is rather... not intimidating, just somewhat cold at times.

I have enjoyed my visits to Waterloo, and felt there is a greater sense of campus community there. Is this assessment false? Does it extend insofar as the physics students?

I don't know to be honest, I've never thought about it. Surely, groups of people with those attributes exist no matter where you go in society, so I don't think the UW will be an exception. However, I do feel as though there are people here that have ever possible type of personality and that you can relate to. Don't know if that's what your looking for.

As for community, it depends on what you mean. I mean we don't get together to sing cumbia, heck our orientations are nothing alike. Overall though, I think that there is a sense of pride and respect for the school that we share. Could that be enough? There are communities within each faculty though, as to be expected of course.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ha! Of course, didn't expect cumbia. That'd be pretty lame. No, I don't mean the Walt Disney idea of happy community where everyone's your neighbour and all that bull...

No, you are correct. Most campuses contain people from many groups, and with some effort and desire to interact, most people can fit in. Perhaps I can be clearer.

The main thing motivating me is Toronto. I like the city and the amenities it offers, but at the same time, it just doesn't feel quite right. (God, now I'm the sycophantic monster...) Waterloo, um, does, I guess is the way to put it. Also, Toronto is really expensive to live in. (Seriously!) Furthermore, Waterloo is marginally closer to home, an added benefit.

I think that part of it is that Waterloo is a university town. (Not to hate on it; I love it! But the universities are a pretty big component of the community, you'd have to admit.) Toronto, it just isn't. There are large student communities (such as the Annex), but the attractions and 'scenes' contained therein, again, aren't really my thing.

I have read several different places that Waterloo has 'poor night-life'. I've been on numerous occasions. This is, to say the least, a false assessment.

I understand if you are unsure by what I mean when I speak about community. But, to be fair, I think I am too. Community is just a word I use to try and convey something about the place. I think the idea that I'm attempting to communicate is something pretty basic. Essentially, Waterloo feels right. It's an intuition thing. That's why I like it, that's why I'd like to go there. My sticking points were, is the program comparable? YES! Er, well, that's about it, really. So, on the basis of academic compatibility and gut instinct, decision is made!

I appreciate you trying to muddle your way through my terribly-worded question!