Transfer Function relating momentum and force

In summary, a transfer function is a mathematical representation that relates momentum and force in a physical system. It describes the relationship between these two variables, allowing for the prediction of the system's behavior. The transfer function is typically expressed as a ratio of the output to the input, with its form depending on the type of system being analyzed. Overall, transfer functions are useful tools in understanding and analyzing the dynamics of a system's motion.
thoraxepi
Hey all,

I hope this is the correct forum section to post this in.
I heard about this problem from a youtube video but I've not been able to simulate it because the video was meant only for an introduction into PID control.

Here's the problem:

A remote control helicopter is hovering just above the ground (0 m). It is desired that the helicopter hover at 50 m. Develop a transfer function that takes an input from the controller and outputs height in meters. The measurement block has negligible dynamics (Gm=Km=1).

What assumptions are necessary?

~~~

My assessment:

The function could be something like dp/dt = Fl(t) - Fg

where p is linear momentum in kg*m/s, Fl is lift force in N (or kg*m/s^2) and Fg is force due to gravity in N.
I need to develop a transfer function that might be in the form H(s)/Fl(s) but I'm not sure how to get there from my differential eqn.

Any help is much appreciated!

-thoraxepi

Physics news on Phys.org
Laplace transform both sides of your differential equation. The Laplace transform of dp/dt is -sP(s) - p(0). The differential equation becomes an algebraic equation.

See here for instance on how differential equations are solved by transforming them.
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/IVPWithLaplace.aspx

Likes thoraxepi
Thank you for the reply.
I think my main issue is finding a transfer function that describes a real system whose output must be height. Upon further review, I find that the problem statement doesn't provide enough information to create a full transfer function without deciding on information about the system.
upload_2018-12-10_19-33-12.png

For example, we could decide that the controller sends an output signal to an electric motor that tells the motor how fast to spin (rpm) and the rpm of the propeller determines the lift force (N) and the lift determines the altitude of the RC helicopter. The equations for propeller force are beyond the scope of the digital process controls course I'm in, so I don't think it would be worth it to relate propeller speed with lift.

If anyone has any comments that might simplify this system, please feel free to share.

-thoraxepi

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-10_19-33-12.png
    upload_2018-12-10_19-33-12.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 401

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation that relates the output of a system to its input, typically in the form of a ratio of output to input. It is commonly used in control systems and signal processing to describe the behavior of a system.

2. How is momentum related to force?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and it is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. Force, on the other hand, is a push or pull acting on an object. According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to the rate of change of momentum. This means that the transfer function relating momentum and force would involve the derivative of momentum.

3. How is the transfer function derived for momentum and force?

The transfer function for momentum and force can be derived using the principles of classical mechanics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. By applying these laws and using mathematical techniques such as differentiation, the transfer function can be obtained.

4. Why is the transfer function for momentum and force important?

The transfer function for momentum and force is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a physical system. By knowing the transfer function, we can determine how a system will respond to different inputs and design control systems to achieve desired outcomes.

5. How is the transfer function used in real-world applications?

The transfer function relating momentum and force is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing control systems for vehicles, robots, and other mechanical systems. It is also used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals, and in physics and engineering research to model and understand the behavior of complex systems.