Relating Momentum to Kinetic Energy

In summary: If you have an equation for kinetic energy at any velocity, you can take the derivative to find the momentum at that velocity. This is because kinetic energy is directly related to velocity and momentum is the change in velocity. So the derivative of the kinetic energy function would give you the rate of change of momentum at that velocity.
MostlyHarmless
We recently started going over momentum in my phyics class and we were given this bit of information: ##impulse=FΔt=mΔv=momentum## I noticed that I were to take the integral of both sides with respect to velocity, it would yield ##FvΔt=Fx=(1/2)mv^2## Which is the Work-Kinectic energy relationship. At first, I thought that integrating momentum and getting Kinetic Energy was just a coincidence, but then after thinking about how momentum and kinetic energy could be related and seeing that integrating both sides still yields a familiar formula I realize that it has to mean something. However, I can't figure it out, and my professor was unable to give me an answer. So, is this relationship similar to the relationship between Acceleration, Velocity, and Position, where, rather than integrating with respect to time we are integrating with respect to position and time? How am I to interpret this? i.e. Acceleration can be described as the change in velocity over some time and the velocity, the change in position over some time.

Differntial equations comes to mind when I think about integrating with respect to two variables at once, but alas, the answer eludes me! I've been chewing on this for days, so any insights are greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
mΔv is a change in momentum.

If you integrate F with respect to t, you get momentum (change).
If you integrate F with respect to x, you get energy (change).
If F is constant, the first is just F*Δt, and the second is F*Δx. You can divide them, and get v Δp = ΔE, which is equivalent to your equation.

I'm not sure I follow you. How is ##FΔx##/##FΔt## not just velocity? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're trying to say, would you mind expanding you're equations a bit? Like, could you show how whatever operation you're doing is equivalent to ##∫Ftdv=∫mvdv## which gives##Fx=(1/2)mv^2##?

Also, I'd like to draw attention to this question, as it is the one I'm most interested in. :)

Jesse H. said:
... So, is this(*momentum and kinetic energy*) relationship similar to the relationship between Acceleration, Velocity, and Position, where, rather than integrating with respect to time we are integrating with respect to position over time(##{\frac{dx}{dt}}##)? How am I to interpret this? i.e. Acceleration can be described as the change in velocity over some time and the velocity, the change in position over some time...

Jesse H. said:
How is ##FΔx##/##FΔt## not just velocity?
It is just velocity, exactly. But at the same time, it is the relation between energy and momentum change.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're trying to say, would you mind expanding you're equations a bit? Like, could you show how whatever operation you're doing is equivalent to ##∫Ftdv=∫mvdv## which gives##Fx=(1/2)mv^2##?
I don't see how I could expand them. I can write them as formulas, however:
$$\int F dt = F \Delta t = \Delta p$$
$$\int F dx = F \Delta x = \Delta E$$
$$\frac{ F \Delta x}{ F \Delta t} = \frac{\Delta E}{\Delta p} \rightarrow v \Delta p = \Delta E$$

Also, I'd like to draw attention to this question, as it is the one I'm most interested in. :)
Energy, momentum and mass are related via derivatives in the velocity. With a constant external force (like gravity), it is even possible to relate them to each other:
Energy is related to the position (height)
Momentum is related to the velocity
Mass is constant - acceleration is constant

Ok thank you, I see.

Another question: If you were given an equation for an objects Kinetic Energy at any velocity, v, could you take the derivative of that equation and it would give its momentum for any velocity? I'm just curious if it works the same way as taking the derivative of a position function wrt time.

Sure, this is a direct result of the equations posted above.

1. What is momentum and how is it related to kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. It is directly related to kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The greater an object's momentum, the greater its kinetic energy will be.

2. How do you calculate an object's momentum?

The formula for momentum is mass x velocity. This means that an object with a larger mass or a higher velocity will have a greater momentum. Momentum is measured in units of kg*m/s.

3. Can an object have momentum without kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have momentum without kinetic energy. This can happen when an object is at rest, but still has mass and therefore, momentum. For example, a parked car has momentum, but no kinetic energy because it is not in motion.

4. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. This means that if one object gains momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum in the opposite direction.

5. How does understanding the relationship between momentum and kinetic energy help in real-world applications?

Understanding the relationship between momentum and kinetic energy is important in many real-world applications. For example, it is crucial in designing and understanding the safety features of vehicles, such as airbags and crumple zones. It is also important in sports, as athletes must understand how to use their momentum to their advantage. Additionally, it is essential in understanding the effects of collisions and explosions in industries such as construction and mining.