1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer of forces from a pulley to a beam

1. Aug 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to understand how forces transfer from a wheel / pulley onto a beam, and then calculating the resulting moment. The image describe the problem.

trinser.png
    The rope is in tension with force "S", the wheel/pulley can rotate freely without any friction.

2. Relevant equations

M = force*distance

3. The attempt at a solution
    Method 1: If we look at the global system it should be ok to use the force*distance to find the resulting moment M.

Method 2: If we first calculate the forces acting between the pulley and the beam and then isolate the beam we should be able to find the moment.

I thought method two would be right because the pulley don't transfer moment, but then again we should also be able to look at it as a global system. Which one is correct and why doesn't the other one work? Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you shown that the two methods are really different ?
    Do you let the two S act at the correct point in method 2 ?

4. Aug 3, 2016 #3
    In theory the two methods shouldn't produce any differences. But if we look at the pulley as a isolated system and find the x and y forces acting in the bearing we are only left with M, but since the two S are producing the same moment with equal distance r my understanding is that M=0 in the bearing. Since the beam and pulley are connected in the frictionless bearing a can only see that the x and y component described in the picture are transferred to the beam.

When you say
    Hmm, I can't see how I should set the forces differently

5. Aug 3, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Simple case ##\theta = \pi/2##. You let the horizontal S act at the height of the beam instead of (idem + r) and the vertical S at the end of the beam instead of (idem + r) -- but I do see the additional moments cancel, so perhaps that's what you mean ?

6. Aug 3, 2016 #5
    Yes, if you use method 2 the moment cancels out in the pulley so you are left with a smaller M than what you get with method 1. Is it wrong to do a global analysis as in method 1 when you have freely rotating wheels in that system?

Another way of stating the problem: Is the reaction moment force M at the end of the beam dependent on the radius of the pulley r?

7. Aug 3, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So my reasoning yields answer: no.

Now we want to show that method 1 gives the same moment as method 2 ...

8. Aug 4, 2016 #7
    Hmm, I have no idea why my earlier results yielded different numbers. Some times all you need is someone looking over your shoulder, thank you for your patience!

9. Aug 4, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Different numbers or different-looking equations?
    Your two equations involve l, r, c and theta, but from the geometry there is a relationship between those variables, so it is not apparent whether they are actually the same. Figure out the relationship and substitute for c in method 1.

10. Aug 4, 2016 #9
    Yes thanks. When I worked through it earlier I got different numbers. But working it out once more I found that the r cancels out when using method 1.
    So it all makes sense now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted