Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transferring electronic signal (or lack thereof) into mechanical effect

1. Jun 11, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I need a little help trying to determine the possibility of incorporating touch and motion sensor technology in material like rubber, plastic or glass. My question is as follows:

Is it possible to incorporate touch and motion sensor technology in material like rubber, plastic or glass where the absence of touch and/or lack of motion could cause a mechanical reaction?

If there is a way to accomplish this, by what process is this achieved? How does the lack of the presence of these electronic signals translate into a mechanical reaction?

I am curious as to whether it is indeed possible for the lack of these signals to produce a mechanical effect. I'm intrigued to know whether touch and motion sensor technology is capable in materials such as silicon, plastic, or rubber.

I would truly appreciate any insight and thank you for your time! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.
    Same way as a normally-closed switch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook