Transferring to UM - Ann Arbor EECS

In summary, UM - Ann Arbor's EECS program is very prestigious, has a strong national reputation, and offers more opportunities than Lawrence Tech. However, you may not be happy if you don't thrive in your current school, and you should focus your energy on doing the best you can in your current program.
leright
I am a prospective transfer student hoping to get admitted to UM - Ann Arbor's EECS program. Currently I am attending Lawrence Technological University for electrical engineering in Southfield, MI. www.ltu.edu

Lawrence Tech is a great school, don't get me wrong. However, it's prestige doesn't go beyond Michigan, really. It is well respected in Michigan, but if you want to develop a career outside of Michigan or the Midwest dealing with something other than automotive (LTU has very close ties with the auto industry) then you're in trouble. I also want to get into the field of solid state electronics/physics, and LTU doesn't have much to offer in that respect. UM Ann Arbor is the number 5 EE program in the country and has plenty of prestige nationally, and seems like it would open more doors for me.

Also, LTU is a very small university (~5000 students and 3000 being undergrads). I was hoping to get into a university that has more of a "university feel" just to experience it.

However, UM's minimum transfer GPA is a 3.5, and I have a 3.31, which is a bit low. However, I am transferring from an engineering university as opposed to a CC, and I have been a michigan resident all my life, which might help a bit I suppose.

I have all of the course requirements satisfied to transfer (all of the calc, physics, and humanities), and then some. I will also have Adv. eng math (complex analysis for engis), circuits 1 with lab, digital electronics with lab, econ, and probability and statistics, all of which will transfer in. I have also taken a decent amount of chemistry (uchem 1 and 2 both with labs, orgo 1 and 2 with orgo 2 lab)

Do you think I have a chance at being admitted? I will call UM's admissions office on Monday, but I figured I'd get your opinion first, since I can't call them on Sunday. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
You look like you might be a good candidate. Make sure you get some good letters of recommendation and write a strong essay. Yes, to transfer you need a personal statement and letters of rec.

Maxwell said:
You look like you might be a good candidate. Make sure you get some good letters of recommendation and write a strong essay. Yes, to transfer you need a personal statement and letters of rec.

Great. Thanks a lot.

However, I haven't been exposed to many EE professors with the exception of three (haven't taken many EE classes) and only one is one I'd feel comfortable in talking to for a letter of recommendation. Would it be ok to ask non-EE profs for letters? I suppose this would be fine, since many CC transfer students never take ANY EE classes. :tongue:

In the spring semester at LTU, I plan to take electromagnetics fields and waves, circuits 2 with lab, engineering cost analysis, microprocessors with lab, and adv. digital with lab. I am hoping most of these classes will transfer as well.

I also considered staying at LTU for the bachelors, and the going to UM for the master's degree, since I have been told UM ann arbor is terrible for undergrad school, particularly in EECS, and is much more focused on research, whereas LTU is largely a teaching school, with much less emphasis on research. This is also something to consider. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Last edited:
Well, I definitely wouldn't say UMich is a bad undergrad school.

However, the most important thing as an undergrad is to thrive wherever you are. If you do stellar at your current school, you shouldn't have a problem entering a strong graduate program.

I don't think you mentioned what year you are? I assume you're a sophomore?

Anyway, just focus your energy on doing the best you can in your current program. If you are not unhappy there, don't worry about transferring to another program.

Maxwell said:
Well, I definitely wouldn't say UMich is a bad undergrad school.
However, the most important thing as an undergrad is to thrive wherever you are. If you do stellar at your current school, you shouldn't have a problem entering a strong graduate program.
I don't think you mentioned what year you are? I assume you're a sophomore?
Anyway, just focus your energy on doing the best you can in your current program. If you are not unhappy there, don't worry about transferring to another program.
I am about to start my second semester of my junior year in a week. :bugeye: I am a little behind in the engineering curriculum because of all of the chemistry classes I took (was a chemistry major for a litte while... :rolleyes: )

I am just really worried about my low GPA...that is all. Also, I am missing linear algebra, which UM says they require for transfers on their general transfer guide, but it doesn't say that on LTU's transfer guide, so I don't know what to believe. MY university doesn't require linear algebra, and I won't be able to take it in the spring...it isn't offered until the fall of '06.

Last edited:
Just stay at your current school. You're GPA is fine, and if you do transfer, some of your classes might not and you'll need to retake them. Since you are a junior, that would be a huge pain in the ass.

As for the Linear Algebra class, just find some time to take it before you graduate.

Maxwell said:
Just stay at your current school. You're GPA is fine, and if you do transfer, some of your classes might not and you'll need to retake them. Since you are a junior, that would be a huge pain in the ass.
As for the Linear Algebra class, just find some time to take it before you graduate.

Yeah, most likely I was gonig to just stay at my current school and then maybe go to UM for grad school, but I still think I am going to apply and see what will transfer, just to see if I get in and to have the option of transferring.

1. What is the process for transferring to UM - Ann Arbor EECS?

The process for transferring to UM - Ann Arbor EECS involves completing an application through the university's transfer admissions office. This includes submitting transcripts, test scores, and any other required materials. Additionally, you will need to complete the required coursework for the EECS program, which may vary depending on your previous coursework and the program's requirements.

2. What are the minimum requirements for transferring to UM - Ann Arbor EECS?

The minimum requirements for transferring to UM - Ann Arbor EECS include a strong academic record, completion of the required coursework, and a competitive GPA. Additionally, you may need to provide test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

3. Can I transfer to UM - Ann Arbor EECS from a community college?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to UM - Ann Arbor EECS from a community college. However, you will need to meet the same requirements as other transfer students and have completed the required coursework for the program.

4. Is it difficult to transfer to UM - Ann Arbor EECS?

The transfer process to UM - Ann Arbor EECS can be competitive, as the program is highly selective. However, if you have a strong academic record and meet the requirements, you have a good chance of being accepted. It's important to carefully review the admissions requirements and make sure you meet them before applying.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with the transfer process to UM - Ann Arbor EECS?

Yes, the university has resources available to help students with the transfer process, including transfer advisors and information sessions. Additionally, you can reach out to current students or alumni of the EECS program for tips and advice on the transfer process.