Transferring vs. Reaching High

In summary: But that is for another day.In summary, if your serious about turning your academic performance around then I would highly suggest the CC route.
LaZeRr_mAn
Hi, first-time poster here. I'm far from a stellar student, but I'm really interested in nuclear engineering. However, NucEng is usually only available at rather big universities. My GPA and SAT's, as well as my EC's are probably not going to get me into a university with NucE, or at least it won't be coming very easily. On the other other hand, I've considered transferring from a CC or a lower-level college/university, but I've heard a lot about the woes of CC's... Which path should I take? Or should I just go for a different but closely related majors? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
LaZeRr_mAn said:
Hi, first-time poster here. I'm far from a stellar student, but I'm really interested in nuclear engineering. However, NucEng is usually only available at rather big universities. My GPA and SAT's, as well as my EC's are probably not going to get me into a university with NucE, or at least it won't be coming very easily. On the other other hand, I've considered transferring from a CC or a lower-level college/university, but I've heard a lot about the woes of CC's... Which path should I take? Or should I just go for a different but closely related majors? Thanks.

If your serious about turning your academic performance around then I would highly suggest the CC route. We all weren't mature enough when we first went through high school and need a second to refocus. I for one ended up pulling a 1.8 GPA in high school, because I was young and stupid and just stopped caring. After the Navy I decided to start at a CC and 52 credits later I had a 4.0 and a 1260 Q&V SAT and got into the 28th ranked school in the nation. CC's aren't all that bad, they don't always have the best peers, but they are what you make of them. And if you don't feel like you are being challanged...challange yourself.

Have you ever heard of match, reach, and safety schools? I've read 50% of your applications should be to match schools, with 25% going to reach, and 25% to safety. They key here is to apply to more than one school.

When you apply, be sure to highlight your strengths. Undergrad doesn't just look at GPA when accepting students. Community service, athletics, other special acheivements can all give you an advantage.

Research the schools you are applying to. Try to find out if students who interview are more likely to get accepted. There are all kinds of statistics out there. Try to find out what will give you the edge you need.

There is nothing wrong with the CC route. That is the route I'm taking. But you might as well at least try to get into your first choice school. The worst that could happen is that you loose a little time, money, and they tell you "no". But if they accept you...

Last edited:
I'm with the two previous posters when I say a CC might not be a bad idea. I honestly I'm telling you right now, if I could re-do the whole college process I would be in a community college right now.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns about your academic journey and interest in nuclear engineering. It is understandable that you may feel discouraged about your chances of getting into a university with a nuclear engineering program based on your current academic standing. However, I want to encourage you to not give up on your passion and explore all possible options.

Firstly, I would suggest researching and reaching out to universities with nuclear engineering programs to inquire about their admission requirements and if there are any alternative pathways for students with lower GPAs. Some universities may have specific programs or pathways for students who are interested in STEM fields but may not have the strongest academic background. It may also be beneficial to connect with current students or alumni from these programs to gain insight into their experiences and any advice they may have.

Another option to consider is starting at a community college and then transferring to a university with a nuclear engineering program. While there may be some challenges and misconceptions about community colleges, they can offer a more affordable and flexible education option. Additionally, many community colleges have partnerships and transfer agreements with universities, making the transfer process smoother. It is important to do your research and choose a community college with a strong STEM program and transfer success rate.

Lastly, if transferring or attending a community college is not feasible for you, I would suggest exploring other closely related majors such as mechanical or electrical engineering, physics, or chemistry. These majors can still provide a strong foundation in the principles and concepts of nuclear engineering and may also have job opportunities in the nuclear industry.

In conclusion, I encourage you to not give up on your dream of studying nuclear engineering. Consider all possible options and do your research to find the best path for you. With determination and hard work, you can achieve your goals. Best of luck to you in your academic journey.

1. What is the difference between transferring and reaching high?

Transferring refers to the process of moving something from one place to another, while reaching high means achieving a higher level of success or accomplishment.

2. Which is more important, transferring or reaching high?

It depends on the context. In science, transferring knowledge and technology is crucial for progress and innovation, but reaching high in terms of scientific discoveries and breakthroughs is also highly valued.

3. Can transferring lead to reaching high?

Yes, transferring knowledge and resources to a new location can open up opportunities for reaching higher levels of success. For example, transferring a research project to a collaborative team can lead to more innovative ideas and breakthroughs.

4. Is there a right way to transfer or reach high in science?

Both transferring and reaching high require careful planning, hard work, and adaptability. There is no one right way to do either, as each situation and goal may require different approaches and strategies.

5. How can scientists balance transferring and reaching high?

Finding a balance between transferring and reaching high can be challenging, but it is important for scientists to prioritize their goals and communicate effectively with their collaborators. Collaboration and sharing of resources can also help achieve a balance between the two.