1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of A = transpose[A] for mxn Matrices

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Let T:M2,3→M3,2 be represented by T(A) = AT. Find the matrix for T relative to the standard bases for M2,3 and M3,2"

2. Relevant equations
    I let the transformation matrix be B. I know that BA = AT, so I need some matrix times A to equal A transpose.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having problems just trying to figure out the size of B. If B is 3x2, then the resultant matrix would be 3x3, which wouldn't equal the size of AT. I've tried playing around with adding a row of zeros to the bottom of A, but then I can't figure out the contents of B. Quite frankly, I'm stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I presume that you know that if you multiply an m by n matrix by an n by p matrix, you get a m by p matrix. You cannot multiply any matrix by a 3 by 2 matrix and get a 2 by 3 matrix. In order to be able to write this transformation as a matrix, you will have to write your matrices as single columns of 6 numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook