1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of Random Variables (Z = X-Y)

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we have a function, f(x,y) = e^-x * e^-y , 0<=x< ∞, 0<=y<∞,
    where X and Y are exponential random variables with mean = 1. (For those who may not know, all this means is ∫(x*e^(-x) dx) from 0 to ∞ = 1, and the same for y)

Suppose we want to transform f(x,y) into f(z), where the transformation is Z = X-Y. Find f(z)

2. Relevant equations
    f(x,y) = e^-x * e^-y , 0<=x< ∞, 0<=y<∞
    Z = X-Y

3. The attempt at a solution

So I decided to transform -Y into W. So we have -Y<=W, which implies Y>=-W
    ∫e^-y dy from -w to ∞...
    -e^-y from -w to ∞
    0 + e^-(-w)
    e^w

Differentiate wrt w

f(w) = e^w -∞ < w <= 0

So now we have Z = X+W
    Z-W = X
    We'll just let W stay as is for this problem.

The jacobian of this transformation is 1.

So we have f(z) = ∫e^-(z-w)*e^w dw from -∞ to z,

This becomes ∫e^-z*e^2w dw from -∞ to z
    This becomes e^-z * (e^2w)/2 from -∞ to z
    This becomes e^-z * ((e^2z)-0)/2
    Which becomes (e^z)/2

The domain of z is -∞ to ∞, however, this integral does not evaluate to 1. As a matter of fact, it does not even converge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let f be the marginal density of X or Y. P{Z <= z} = int_{y=0..infinity} f(y)*P{X-Y <= z|Y=y} dy, and P{X-Y <= z|Y=y} = P{X <= y+z|Y=y} = P{X <= y+z} because X and Y are independent. You can get P{X <= y+z} and so do the integral. The final result is perfectly fine for all z in R and does, indeed, integrate to 1. However, you need to be careful about integration limits, since f(y) = exp(-y)*u(y) and F(y+z) = [1-exp(-y-z)]*u(y+z), where u(.) is the unit step function [u(t) = 0 for t < 0 and u(t) = 1 for t > 0]. BTW: please either use brackets (so write e^(2z)) or the "[ S U P ]" button (so write e2z) or else write "exp", as I have done. That way there is no chance of misreading what you type. Alternatively, you could use LaTeX.

RGV

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3
    So sorry, I saw your solution a while ago and it really helped me. I just remembered that I never thanked you/gave you credit for your solution. How do I give you credit for helping me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook