Transformation of Random Variables (Z = X-Y)

In summary, the conversation involves finding the function f(z) from a given function f(x,y) and a transformation Z = X-Y, with the help of the marginal density of X or Y. The final result is valid for all values of z and integrates to 1. It is important to be careful with integration limits and notation to avoid misinterpretation.
Applejacks01

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a function, f(x,y) = e^-x * e^-y , 0<=x< ∞, 0<=y<∞,
where X and Y are exponential random variables with mean = 1. (For those who may not know, all this means is ∫(x*e^(-x) dx) from 0 to ∞ = 1, and the same for y)

Suppose we want to transform f(x,y) into f(z), where the transformation is Z = X-Y. Find f(z)

Homework Equations

f(x,y) = e^-x * e^-y , 0<=x< ∞, 0<=y<∞
Z = X-Y

The Attempt at a Solution

So I decided to transform -Y into W. So we have -Y<=W, which implies Y>=-W
∫e^-y dy from -w to ∞...
-e^-y from -w to ∞
0 + e^-(-w)
e^w

Differentiate wrt w

f(w) = e^w -∞ < w <= 0

So now we have Z = X+W
Z-W = X
We'll just let W stay as is for this problem.

The jacobian of this transformation is 1.

So we have f(z) = ∫e^-(z-w)*e^w dw from -∞ to z,

This becomes ∫e^-z*e^2w dw from -∞ to z
This becomes e^-z * (e^2w)/2 from -∞ to z
This becomes e^-z * ((e^2z)-0)/2
Which becomes (e^z)/2

The domain of z is -∞ to ∞, however, this integral does not evaluate to 1. As a matter of fact, it does not even converge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Applejacks01 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a function, f(x,y) = e^-x * e^-y , 0<=x< ∞, 0<=y<∞,
where X and Y are exponential random variables with mean = 1. (For those who may not know, all this means is ∫(x*e^(-x) dx) from 0 to ∞ = 1, and the same for y)

Suppose we want to transform f(x,y) into f(z), where the transformation is Z = X-Y. Find f(z)

Homework Equations

f(x,y) = e^-x * e^-y , 0<=x< ∞, 0<=y<∞
Z = X-Y

The Attempt at a Solution

So I decided to transform -Y into W. So we have -Y<=W, which implies Y>=-W
∫e^-y dy from -w to ∞...
-e^-y from -w to ∞
0 + e^-(-w)
e^w

Differentiate wrt w

f(w) = e^w -∞ < w <= 0

So now we have Z = X+W
Z-W = X
We'll just let W stay as is for this problem.

The jacobian of this transformation is 1.

So we have f(z) = ∫e^-(z-w)*e^w dw from -∞ to z,

This becomes ∫e^-z*e^2w dw from -∞ to z
This becomes e^-z * (e^2w)/2 from -∞ to z
This becomes e^-z * ((e^2z)-0)/2
Which becomes (e^z)/2

The domain of z is -∞ to ∞, however, this integral does not evaluate to 1. As a matter of fact, it does not even converge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Let f be the marginal density of X or Y. P{Z <= z} = int_{y=0..infinity} f(y)*P{X-Y <= z|Y=y} dy, and P{X-Y <= z|Y=y} = P{X <= y+z|Y=y} = P{X <= y+z} because X and Y are independent. You can get P{X <= y+z} and so do the integral. The final result is perfectly fine for all z in R and does, indeed, integrate to 1. However, you need to be careful about integration limits, since f(y) = exp(-y)*u(y) and F(y+z) = [1-exp(-y-z)]*u(y+z), where u(.) is the unit step function [u(t) = 0 for t < 0 and u(t) = 1 for t > 0]. BTW: please either use brackets (so write e^(2z)) or the "[ S U P ]" button (so write e2z) or else write "exp", as I have done. That way there is no chance of misreading what you type. Alternatively, you could use LaTeX.

RGV

So sorry, I saw your solution a while ago and it really helped me. I just remembered that I never thanked you/gave you credit for your solution. How do I give you credit for helping me?

What is the transformation of random variables?

The transformation of random variables is a mathematical concept used to transform one random variable into another. It involves taking a function of the original random variable and creating a new random variable with a different distribution.

What is the formula for the transformation of random variables?

The formula for transforming a random variable X into a new random variable Z is Z = g(X), where g is the transformation function. For example, if X is normally distributed and g(x) = x^2, then Z will have a chi-squared distribution.

Why is the transformation of random variables useful?

The transformation of random variables is useful because it allows us to simplify complex probability distributions and make statistical calculations easier. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different random variables and their distributions.

What are some common transformations of random variables?

Some common transformations of random variables include linear transformations, power transformations, logarithmic transformations, and exponential transformations. These transformations can be used to create new random variables with different distributions, such as normal, exponential, or chi-squared.

What are the assumptions for the transformation of random variables?

The main assumption for the transformation of random variables is that the original random variable X has a continuous probability distribution. Additionally, the transformation function g(x) must be one-to-one and differentiable, meaning that it has a well-defined inverse function. Finally, the transformation must be applied to all possible values of X, not just a subset.