Transformer; make primary voltage x10 of the secondary voltage

In summary: Thank you for your reply. Haha, no presently it is a hypothetical curiosity. Although, perhaps it is an aspiration I will indulge when I feel I have a better theoretical understanding of their functioning. 👍Indeed I will heed your message of caution at any rate.
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, hypothetically if I wanted to create a transformer which had an output voltage is ten times the input voltage, how would I do this?
Relevant Equations
Vs=-Ns (dΦ)/(dt)
Vp/Vs=Np/Ns
I understand that transformers function using electromagnetic induction and Faraday's Law.
This implies; Vs=-Ns (dΦ)/(dt)
Meaning the secondary voltage is proportional to the number of turns on the secondary coil.
Vs∝Ns

Using the relationship; Vp/Vs=Np/Ns
If we want Vs=10Vp that would imply that we require a 10:1 turns ratio, i.e. ten times as many turns on the primary coil than the the secondary?
10Vp=10/1*Vs

So to increase the output voltage to ten times that of the input voltage would we just increase the number of turns on the secondary coil by 1/10 of that on the primary; so Ns=1?

Or if Vs and Ns are directly proportional then we would increase the number of by multiplying by 10?

Physics news on Phys.org
AN630078 said:
Using the relationship; Vp/Vs=Np/Ns
You directly get$$
V_s = N_s\; {V_p\over N_p} = V_p\; {N_s\over N_p} $$
So not 10 : 1 but 1 : 10

BvU said:
You directly get$$
V_s = N_s\; {V_p\over N_p} = V_p\; {N_s\over N_p} $$
So not 10 : 1 but 1 : 10
Thank you for your reply. Oh right, so if the turns ratio is 1:10 not 10:1 would that imply that in order to produce an output voltage ten times the input voltage one would have 10 times turns on the secondary coil than the primary coil?

AN630078 said:
Thank you for your reply. Oh right, so if the turns ratio is 1:10 not 10:1 would that imply that in order to produce an output voltage ten times the input voltage one would have 10 times turns on the secondary coil than the primary coil?

That's right. Are you thinking of building one? Caution!

Gordianus said:
That's right. Are you thinking of building one? Caution!
Thank you for your reply. Haha, no presently it is a hypothetical curiosity. Although, perhaps it is an aspiration I will indulge when I feel I have a better theoretical understanding of their functioning. 👍Indeed I will heed your message of caution at any rate.

1. How does a transformer increase voltage?

A transformer increases voltage through the process of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field then induces a current in the secondary coil, resulting in an increase in voltage.

2. What is the ratio of primary to secondary voltage in a transformer?

The ratio of primary to secondary voltage in a transformer is determined by the number of turns in each coil. In the case of increasing the primary voltage by 10 times, the ratio would be 10:1. This means that for every 10 volts in the primary coil, there will be 1 volt in the secondary coil.

3. Why is it important to increase the voltage in a transformer?

Increasing voltage in a transformer allows for efficient transmission of electricity over long distances. Higher voltage results in lower current, which reduces energy loss due to resistance in the wires. This is known as the power transmission equation, V x I = P.

4. What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up and step-down. A step-up transformer increases voltage, while a step-down transformer decreases voltage. Other types of transformers include autotransformers, isolation transformers, and distribution transformers.

5. How is the efficiency of a transformer measured?

The efficiency of a transformer is measured by the ratio of output power to input power. This is known as the efficiency formula, Efficiency = (Output power / Input power) x 100%. Ideally, a transformer should have an efficiency of 100%, but in reality, there will always be some energy loss due to factors such as resistance and magnetic hysteresis.