1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformers connected in wye-delta

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three single phase transformers rated 100kVA, 13.2kV/2.4KV are connected in wye-delta on a 3-phase, 18kV line.

I need to find the maximum load that can be connected to the transformer bank and the outgoing line voltage.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am completely stuck, so far I've got:
    Voltage across primary is 2.4kV therefore voltage across secondary is 13.2kV
    Es=13.2[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]=22.86kV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2
    This can't be right can it? Do you have a 2.4KV transformer connected to an 18KV line?

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    I'm not 100% sure if that's what the question is implying as I'm completely stuck on it.
    Thanks for the quick reply though.

5. May 31, 2010 #4
    Well, I don't know how 3 phase transformers are voltage rated, as I haven't studied them. However, if the voltage of a Delta is measured from phase to phase and voltage of a Wye is measured neutral to any phase, then you don't use the factor of sqrt(3).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook