1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the equivalent resistance using wye delta ?

1. Jan 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://z-1-scontent-sin1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t34.0-12/12435980_942112312550457_1708451532_n.jpg?oh=b29a5e9b2ff96bbf0e11932d081eb25e&oe=568A9B79

We need to find the equivalent resistance along A to B ie AB
    2. Relevant equations
    R=(1/R1 + 1/R2+.........+1/Rn)^-1 , Y-Delta transformation , equation for parallel combination, equation for series combination.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried wye-delta but my teacher says that I need not use wye-delta .How possible? I have two answer 1.43 ohms and 1.6 ohms .What is the actual equivalent resistance? Can you please solve these problems?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2016 #2
    Is there any other way?

4. Jan 3, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Well, I believe wye-delta will give you the answer since there are a lot of wyes and deltas in the circuit, but I think there is other way(simpler, maybe). Consider the two 2Ω resistors in the middle, which are parallel to AB. Replace each of them by a parallel combination of two 4Ω resistors. Now cut the circuit into two halves along the horizontal symmetry, separating the 4Ω resistors.

5. Jan 3, 2016 #4
    Then what will be the equivalent resistance?

6. Jan 3, 2016 #5

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Lets call the side along which we cut the circuit as CD Now, the equivalent resistance( between A and B )of the lower part and equivalent resistance of the upper part(between C and D) will be in parallel, which will give you net resistance between A and B. Out of that, equivalent resistance of the lower part is very easy to find, just by series-parallel combination. But for the upper part, I think you need to use wye-delta at least once(or twice). Seems that you can't get rid of wye-delta so easily! But I think the no of wye-delta conversions is reduced this way.

7. Jan 3, 2016 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

In the upper part, you only need to use wye-delta once. Then the upper part becomes a balanced Wheatstone's bridge and RCDwill be easy to calculate.

8. Jan 3, 2016 #7
    Can you calculate the equivalent resistance please .I am getting 1.43 ohms and 1.6 ohms as the answer in different cases. Can you tell me the answer, please :3

9. Jan 3, 2016 #8

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Well I'm afraid telling the final answer is not allowed here and if I did so, it will be removed immediately and I'll be warned:wink:! It will be helpful if you drew and posted the diagrams here. What answer have they provided? I just want to verify if my approach is right. Otherwise, it will waste your precious time.

10. Jan 3, 2016 #9

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Nope, this approach is not right. We are calculating the resistance between A and B. So, lower part resistance will be between A and B but upper resistance will be between C and D. They are not in parallel. I ran a quick simulation on my phone and verified it. That was a silly mistake! But I think there should be some other method since the configuration is symmetric. I'll try to work it out!

11. Jan 3, 2016 #10

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  12. Jan 3, 2016 #11

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Well, the shortest way I got is delta-wye conversion itself. One on upper side and one on the lower side(viewed from AB).

13. Jan 3, 2016 #12
    The shortest way is circuit symmetry which provides Equivalent Resistance= 11R/20 here R=2. hence equivalent R=1.1 ohm. This was so simple.

14. Jan 3, 2016 #13
    But the critical part may be how you will find the final equation.But it is easy too.

15. Jan 3, 2016 #14
  16. Jan 3, 2016 #15

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes. That's what I got using delta-wye transform. Good job!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted