Question with 3 Phase Transformers Wye-Delta problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy between the answer to a problem and the solution given in a textbook. The speaker mentions that their answer is close to the one in the book if the secondary load is 3 phase 4 wire and suggests working with resistances instead of current. They also mention that the solution for part b is incorrect according to their professor.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

TkQbYYt.jpg

Homework Equations

Wye:
V_Line = sqrt(3) x V_Phase

Delta:
V_Line = V_Phase

The Attempt at a Solution

RvaqI4h.jpg

pxneon8.jpg

My answer doesn't quite match up with the solutions in the book, and was wondering what I went wrong here? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a) I get approx. the book answer if the secondary load is 3 phase 4 wire, same configuration as the primary.
You might find it more straightforward to work directly with resistances, rather than with current then calculating resistances.

As the textbooks like to say: "Part b) is left as an exercise for the reader."

Tom.G said:
For part a) I get approx. the book answer if the secondary load is 3 phase 4 wire, same configuration as the primary.
You might find it more straightforward to work directly with resistances, rather than with current then calculating resistances.

As the textbooks like to say: "Part b) is left as an exercise for the reader."
Yes I've solved it, turned out part b's solution of the book is incorrect according to my professor. Thanks!

1. What is a 3 phase transformer?

A 3 phase transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It has three sets of primary and secondary windings, each set connected to a different phase of the electrical power system.

2. What is the difference between Wye and Delta connection in a 3 phase transformer?

Wye and Delta are two different types of connections used in a 3 phase transformer. In a Wye connection, the end of each winding is connected to a common point, while in a Delta connection, the end of each winding is connected to the start of the next winding. The main difference between these connections is the phase shift between the input and output voltages.

3. How do you solve a Wye-Delta problem in a 3 phase transformer?

To solve a Wye-Delta problem, you need to follow a set of steps. First, draw the circuit diagram and label all the known values. Then, use the appropriate formulas to calculate the unknown values. Next, apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and Kirchhoff's Current Law to solve for the unknown currents and voltages. Finally, check your answers to ensure they are consistent with the laws of physics.

4. What are the advantages of using a 3 phase transformer?

There are several advantages of using a 3 phase transformer. One of the main advantages is that it allows for the transmission of large amounts of power over long distances with less power loss compared to a single phase transformer. Additionally, 3 phase transformers are more efficient, have a smaller footprint, and are less expensive compared to three single phase transformers.

5. Can a 3 phase transformer be used for single phase applications?

Yes, a 3 phase transformer can be used for single phase applications by connecting only one of the primary and secondary windings. However, this may result in lower efficiency and increased cost compared to using a single phase transformer for the same application.