How do I find f(x) from an equation like f(x+1) = x?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Red_CCF
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Functions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 7K views
BloodyFrozen said:
Sorry, but I haven't quite understood what you have said. Perhaps you could clarify or another person could answer. :)

Hi

I'm just curious because, f(x+1)=x is f(x)=x-1 shifted one to the left, so their graphs must not look identical right? And so we cannot equate f(x+1)=f(x)?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Actually, f(x)=x-1 is shifted one down or one to the right (from f(x)=x).
 
BloodyFrozen said:
Actually, f(x)=x-1 is shifted one down or one to the right (from f(x)=x).

Hi

I meant that the graph of f(x+1) = x is the graph of f(x) = x-1 shifted one left.
 
Red_CCF said:
Hi

I meant that the graph of f(x+1) = x is the graph of f(x) = x-1 shifted one left.

They're the same thing
 
BloodyFrozen said:
They're the same thing

I apologize for dwelling on this, but I'm really confused. I read from Stewart's Calculus that y = f(x+c) shift the graph of y = f(x) c units to the left. If the function is shifted their graphs are different so how can be the same?

Thanks