Transforming Functions: From f(x+1) to f(x)

• Thread starter Red_CCF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, replacing x with y-1 in the equation f(x+1) = x results in the function f(y) = y-1. This means that any number can be substituted in for y, including x, giving the final result of f(x) = x-1. This can also be achieved by replacing x with x-1 in the original equation. However, this may be confusing and people often prefer to solve the problem in multiple steps. Replacing x with different expressions does not change the relationship between f and x.
Red_CCF
Hi

I was wondering if it's possible to transform a function like f(x+1) = x to a function that is just in terms of x (f(x))? Also, what would the graph of f(x+1)=x look like?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's clear to see what f(x) is if you let y = x + 1. Then x = y - 1 and f(y) = y - 1.
We can just interchange symbols for convenience of notation and get f(x) = x - 1.

Another argument is that f is obviously the inverse function of g(x) = x + 1. Thus by inspection (since this particular example is pretty simple), f(x) = x - 1.

The graph would be a line crossing the vertical axis at (0, -1)

f(x + a) is like f(x), but shifted on the x-axis by a.

If one plots the x-axis horizontally, with positive x to the right, f(x + a) will look like f(x) shifted to the left by a. If f1(x) = f(x + a), f1(0) = f(a) and f1(1) = f(1 + a). If a is positive, the values of f1(x) are the values of f with a parameter larger than x. Hopefully it is clear to you after reading this why the shifting is to the left by a.

Dr. Seafood said:
It's clear to see what f(x) is if you let y = x + 1. Then x = y - 1 and f(y) = y - 1.
We can just interchange symbols for convenience of notation and get f(x) = x - 1.

Another argument is that f is obviously the inverse function of g(x) = x + 1. Thus by inspection (since this particular example is pretty simple), f(x) = x - 1.

The graph would be a line crossing the vertical axis at (0, -1)

Hi

So the new x is not the same as the original x? Would this mean that if I were solving a problem and I do this substitution somewhere in the middle the end result would be incorrect as I changed the relationship between the variable and function?

MisterX said:
f(x + a) is like f(x), but shifted on the x-axis by a.

If one plots the x-axis horizontally, with positive x to the right, f(x + a) will look like f(x) shifted to the left by a. If f1(x) = f(x + a), f1(0) = f(a) and f1(1) = f(1 + a). If a is positive, the values of f1(x) are the values of f with a parameter larger than x. Hopefully it is clear to you after reading this why the shifting is to the left by a.

Hi

So f(x+1) = x has the same graph as f (x) = x + 1? Am I allowed to equate the two?

Red_CCF said:
So the new x is not the same as the original x? Would this mean that if I were solving a problem and I do this substitution somewhere in the middle the end result would be incorrect as I changed the relationship between the variable and function?

The magical part is that you didn't change anything about the function. It's the same function doing the same thing, except now you've made the function's "rule" more explicit by clearly stating f(x). The new x is not the same as the original x, no; but you have no need for the old x because now you have a more useful formula for f(x).

Its really very simple
given f(x+1) = x
so we have
f(2+1) = 2;
f(a+1) = a
Similarly
f((x-1)+1) = x-1
hence, f(x) = x -1;

Last edited:
Red_CCF said:
Hi

I was wondering if it's possible to transform a function like f(x+1) = x to a function that is just in terms of x (f(x))?

f(x)=x-1

Red_CCF said:
The important thing (and it comes up a lot in mathematics) is that there is nothing special about x in "f(x+1) = x". It's just standing in for any number you want to put in there. That means you can replace the x with anything you like. You could say f(1+1) = 1, or f((a+b)2+1) = (a+b)2, or whatever.

If you replace x with y-1, as people showed above, you get the particularly useful result f(y) = y-1. Now, in this expression, just as before, there is nothing special about y. It is, once again, just a stand-in for any old number. So now you can replace y with x, giving f(x) = x-1.

In theory you could have gotten here in one step by replacing x with x-1 in the first expression. But that can be confusing (especially if the expression is more complex), so people seldom do it that way.

pmsrw3 said:
The important thing (and it comes up a lot in mathematics) is that there is nothing special about x in "f(x+1) = x". It's just standing in for any number you want to put in there. That means you can replace the x with anything you like. You could say f(1+1) = 1, or f((a+b)2+1) = (a+b)2, or whatever.

If you replace x with y-1, as people showed above, you get the particularly useful result f(y) = y-1. Now, in this expression, just as before, there is nothing special about y. It is, once again, just a stand-in for any old number. So now you can replace y with x, giving f(x) = x-1.

In theory you could have gotten here in one step by replacing x with x-1 in the first expression. But that can be confusing (especially if the expression is more complex), so people seldom do it that way.

Hi

The thing I'm wondering about is what if the f(x+1) was used in solving an problem which depends on x and its relationship with f. If I substitute it in this way, would I be changing the relationship between the two and the original problem so the resulting solution would be incorrect?

Also, since graphically f(x+1) = x is the same as f(x) = x how come that's not the answer to my original question?

Thanks

f(x+ 1)= x is not, graphically or otherwise, the same as f(x)= x. The graph of y= x is a straight line, through the origin, at 45 degrees to the x- axis. f(x+ 1)= x is, as you have been told, the same as f(u)= u- 1 and its graph is a straight line, hrough the point (0, -1), at 45 degrees to the x-axis. The two lines are parallel but not the same.

HallsofIvy said:
f(x+ 1)= x is not, graphically or otherwise, the same as f(x)= x. The graph of y= x is a straight line, through the origin, at 45 degrees to the x- axis. f(x+ 1)= x is, as you have been told, the same as f(u)= u- 1 and its graph is a straight line, hrough the point (0, -1), at 45 degrees to the x-axis. The two lines are parallel but not the same.

Hi

Thanks for the response. I apologize for still not understanding such a simple problem but I just want to be thorough.

Using the wolfram link dimension10 provided, the graph of f(x+1) = x is a straight line through the origin which is the same as f(x) = x so I'm confused as to how it can be equal to f(u) = u - 1 and not f(x) = x given that f(x+1) and f(u) are not equal for the same x and u values.

I'm also wondering if someone can answer the other question I posed in Post #10

Thanks

Red_CCF said:
Hi

Thanks for the response. I apologize for still not understanding such a simple problem but I just want to be thorough.

Using the wolfram link dimension10 provided, the graph of f(x+1) = x is a straight line through the origin which is the same as f(x) = x so I'm confused as to how it can be equal to f(u) = u - 1 and not f(x) = x given that f(x+1) and f(u) are not equal for the same x and u values.

Thanks

The derivative is the same but the graphs are definitely different.

f(x+1)=x
f(x)=x-1

f'(x)=d/dx (x-1)

Note that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x-C)=\frac{d}{dx}x[/tex] for constant C.

As the derivative of f(x)=x is 1, the gradient of the graph is 1. Thus, the angle is arctan 1 =pi/4 which is 45 degrees. So this is the difference is this: if you draw the two graphs, f(x+1)=x and f(x)=x, for every value of f(x), the corresponding points on the two straight lines are 1 unit apart.

dimension10 said:
The derivative is the same but the graphs are definitely different.

f(x+1)=x
f(x)=x-1

f'(x)=d/dx (x-1)

Note that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x-C)=\frac{d}{dx}x[/tex] for constant C.

As the derivative of f(x)=x is 1, the gradient of the graph is 1. Thus, the angle is arctan 1 =pi/4 which is 45 degrees. So this is the difference is this: if you draw the two graphs, f(x+1)=x and f(x)=x, for every value of f(x), the corresponding points on the two straight lines are 1 unit apart.

Hi

Did you mean f(x) = x - 1 here?

No, he said "f(x+1)= x", which is the same as f(x)= x- 1, and "f(x)= x". Those are the two functions he is comparing.

Red_CCF said:
Hi

Thanks

I think Wolfram Alpha doesn't get it. It is only taking the right side. Look at the key in this link:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Plot+f(x+1)=x+and+f(x)=x

But the correct one is
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Plot+f(x)=x-1+and+f(x)=x

Red_CCF said:
Hi

The thing I'm wondering about is what if the f(x+1) was used in solving an problem which depends on x and its relationship with f. If I substitute it in this way, would I be changing the relationship between the two and the original problem so the resulting solution would be incorrect?

Also, since graphically f(x+1) = x is the same as f(x) = x how come that's not the answer to my original question?

Thanks

f(x)=x-1 is the only possible solution

HallsofIvy said:
No, he said "f(x+1)= x", which is the same as f(x)= x- 1, and "f(x)= x". Those are the two functions he is comparing.
Hi

From previous posts, to transform f(x+1) = x to f (x) = x-1, a u = x+1 had to be substituted and then an u = x was substituted back, so essentially an x = x-1 had to be substituted to get f(x) = x-1 so I'm confused how f (x+1) = x can be considered equal to f(x) = x-1 when the x variable has been changed.
dimension10 said:
I think Wolfram Alpha doesn't get it. It is only taking the right side. Look at the key in this link:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Plot+f(x+1)=x+and+f(x)=x

But the correct one is
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Plot+f(x)=x-1+and+f(x)=x

I plotted f(x+1) = x by hand (not sure if it's right) and I got the same graph as the one in the first link. I went f(x+1) = x+1-1; for x = 0, i get f(0+1) = 0+1-1 = 0 (so for x = 0, f = 0) and I get a graph that passes through the origin?

Putting the equation in standard terms (f(x)=x-1), you should realize the y-int is -1 or coordinate (0,-1)

BloodyFrozen said:
Putting the equation in standard terms (f(x)=x-1), you should realize the y-int is -1 or coordinate (0,-1)

Hi, I'm not doubting how the graph f(x) = x-1 is drawn, just how it can be equal to f(x+1) = x

Red_CCF said:
Hi, I'm not doubting how the graph f(x) = x-1 is drawn, just how it can be equal to f(x+1) = x

Think of it this way,

f(x+1) = x

We know standard functions are written as f(x) = ...

We don't know what this f(x) is, but we do know that when we plug x+1 into the function, it yields x.

Now let g(x) = x+1

g(x) is the inverse of f(x) or g-1(x) = f(x)-> due to f(g(x)) = x

To find the inverse of g(x) or in other words f(x) we replace all the y's with x's and x's with y's.

g(x) = x+1
x = y+1
y = x-1 -> g-1(x) = x-1 or what we are looking for, f(x) = x-1

Although I still think the previous posters' suggestions are much easier than mine:biggrin:

Last edited:
BloodyFrozen said:
Think of it this way,

f(x+1) = x

We know standard functions are written as f(x) = ...

We don't know what this f(x) is, but we do know that when we plug x+1 into the function, it yields x.

Now let g(x) = x+1

g(x) is the inverse of f(x) or g-1(x) = f(x)-> due to f(g(x)) = x

To find the inverse of g(x) or in other words f(x) we replace all the y's with x's and x's with y's.

g(x) = x+1
x = y+1
y = x-1 -> g-1(x) = x-1 or what we are looking for, f(x) = x-1

Although I still think the previous posters' suggestions are much easier than mine:biggrin:

Hi

Thanks very much. This makes a lot more sense to me now, I was mainly confused with the other method because of the (essentially) x = x -1 substitution which your method skipped.

But I wonder, what if f(x+1) was not x, but something else (maybe some polynomial), this method wouldn't work?

Thanks

There still would be a way like it, but it'd take more work to do.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=518117

The thread above has a problem similar to the polynomial/etc. your proposing.

Basically you have f(g(x)) or f o g [same thing] and g(x) and you need to find f(x).

I think SammyS's suggestion is a good one to get f(x):wink:

BloodyFrozen said:
There still would be a way like it, but it'd take more work to do.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=518117

The thread above has a problem similar to the polynomial/etc. your proposing.

Basically you have f(g(x)) or f o g [same thing] and g(x) and you need to find f(x).

I think SammyS's suggestion is a good one to get f(x):wink:

Hi

I'm wondering if you can show me how to plot f(x+1) = x (without converting to f(x) = x-1) by hand because when I did it I keep getting that the function passes through the origin.

Thanks

Something like f(x+1)=x^2+x+1 is not that hard.

The solution is f(x)=(x-1)^2+(x-1)+1
=x^2+(-1)^2+2(x)(-1)+x
=x^2+1-2x+x
=x^2-x+1

Red_CCF said:
Hi

I'm wondering if you can show me how to plot f(x+1) = x (without converting to f(x) = x-1) by hand because when I did it I keep getting that the function passes through the origin.

Thanks
First, you should see immediately that the graph is a straight line. Taking x= 0 in f(x+1)= x gives f(1)= 0 so one point in the graph, (x, f(x)), is (1, 0). Taking x= 1 in f(x+1)= x gives f(2)= 1 so another point is (2, 1). Draw the straight line through those two points. You should see that the graph is parallel to the graph of f(x)= x but shifted up 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
First, you should see immediately that the graph is a straight line. Taking x= 0 in f(x+1)= x gives f(1)= 0 so one point in the graph, (x, f(x)), is (1, 0). Taking x= 1 in f(x+1)= x gives f(2)= 1 so another point is (2, 1). Draw the straight line through those two points. You should see that the graph is parallel to the graph of f(x)= x but shifted up 1.

Hi

I was wondering how the graph (x, f(x+1)) or x vs. f(x+1) would be drawn. I keep thinking like this: at x = 0, f (0 + 1) = 0 (as f(x+1)=x) and I get (0,0) as a point but is wrong as it passes through the origin, where is my mistake?

Thank you

Remeber the function: f(x)?

Well at x = 0, f(0+1)= f(1) ->

f(1) = 0 [from the function f(x+1) = x, we're just plugging in values]

This means when we/you choose x = 1 , the y-value will be 0. So your coordinates are (1,0) not (0,0) :wink:

To check if this is right,

f(x) = x-1
f(1) = 1-1
f(1) = 0

Red_CCF said:
Hi

I was wondering how the graph (x, f(x+1)) or x vs. f(x+1) would be drawn. I keep thinking like this: at x = 0, f (0 + 1) = 0 (as f(x+1)=x) and I get (0,0) as a point but is wrong as it passes through the origin, where is my mistake?
Thank you

Your mistake is that your choosing x to be 0, but when you have f(x+1), your actually "altering" the x to become 1 (0+1=1). This is why we would likely write it as f(x)=..., that we'd get the x coordinate we originally wanted (not a different one)

HallsofIvy said:
Taking x= 1 in f(x+1)= x gives f(2)= 1 so another point is (2, 1). Draw the straight line through those two points. You should see that the graph is parallel to the graph of f(x)= x but shifted up 1.
Probably clearer from HallsofIvy

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
BloodyFrozen said:
Your mistake is that your choosing x to be 0, but when you have f(x+1), your actually "altering" the x to become 1 (0+1=1). This is why we would likely write it as f(x)=..., that we'd get the x coordinate we originally wanted (not a different one)

Hi

In the example you provided, the y-axis of the graph is f(x), if I want the x-axis to be x and y-axis to be f(x+1) the graph would not be the same right? Also, I cannot actually equate f(x) to f(x+1)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry, but I haven't quite understood what you have said. Perhaps you could clarify or another person could answer. :)

BloodyFrozen said:
Sorry, but I haven't quite understood what you have said. Perhaps you could clarify or another person could answer. :)

Hi

I'm just curious because, f(x+1)=x is f(x)=x-1 shifted one to the left, so their graphs must not look identical right? And so we cannot equate f(x+1)=f(x)?

Actually, f(x)=x-1 is shifted one down or one to the right (from f(x)=x).

BloodyFrozen said:
Actually, f(x)=x-1 is shifted one down or one to the right (from f(x)=x).

Hi

I meant that the graph of f(x+1) = x is the graph of f(x) = x-1 shifted one left.

Red_CCF said:
Hi

I meant that the graph of f(x+1) = x is the graph of f(x) = x-1 shifted one left.

They're the same thing

BloodyFrozen said:
They're the same thing

I apologize for dwelling on this, but I'm really confused. I read from Stewart's Calculus that y = f(x+c) shift the graph of y = f(x) c units to the left. If the function is shifted their graphs are different so how can be the same?

Thanks

Related to Transforming Functions: From f(x+1) to f(x)

1. What is the purpose of transforming functions?

Transforming functions allows us to manipulate and change the shape, position, and direction of a graph. This can help us better understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values.

2. How does f(x+1) differ from f(x)?

The difference between f(x+1) and f(x) is that f(x+1) shifts the graph of the function to the left by one unit, while f(x) remains in its original position. This is because the input value, x, is being increased by 1 before being plugged into the function.

3. What happens when we add a constant to the input of a function?

When we add a constant to the input of a function, the graph of the function shifts horizontally. If the constant is positive, the graph will shift to the left. If the constant is negative, the graph will shift to the right.

4. How does transforming a function affect its domain and range?

Transforming a function does not change its domain (input values) or range (output values). The domain and range of a function remain the same regardless of any transformations applied to it.

5. Can we transform a function by multiplying or dividing the input?

Yes, we can transform a function by multiplying or dividing the input by a constant. This will result in a vertical stretch or compression of the graph. If the constant is greater than 1, the graph will stretch vertically. If the constant is between 0 and 1, the graph will compress vertically. If the constant is negative, the graph will also reflect over the x-axis.