Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforming to curved manifolds

1. Sep 6, 2006 #1
    I know that the Riemann tensor vanishes in a flat space. And no amount of co-ordinate transformations can go from a flat space to a curved space.

Does that mean there is no transformation that will go from, say Cartesian 2D, to [itex](\theta,\phi)[/itex], the co-ordinates usually used for the unit 2-sphere? I say this since the first space is flat, and the second is curved.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Topoloically, the 2-dimensional plane is non-compact, while S^2, the 2-dimensional (surface of a) sphere is compact, so, globally, these two are not "the same", i.e., not topologically isomorphic.

4. Sep 6, 2006 #3
    Thanks for your reply. I did know that, but is there no co-ordinate transformation (however exotic) that can make me think I'm on the plane instead of the sphere?

5. Sep 6, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, there is no such coordinate transformation. There are, of course, transformations for the surface of a sphere that are 'approximately' flat and will look like R2 on a sufficiently small region.

6. Sep 6, 2006 #5
    Many thanks, to the both of you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?