Transition from bound states to continuous states

• Thread starter giova7_89
  • Start date
Transition from bound states to "continuous" states

If I have the Hamiltonian for the Hydrogen atom and a perturbation given by a classical electric field (the kind of problems you get in an ordinary course about QM, no QFT involved), can I have a transition from a bound state (I intend a discrete state [tex]|n,l,m>[/tex]) to a state with energy greater than 0 (that is a state in the continuous spectrum of the unperturbed Hamiltonian). I calculated the probability amplitude [tex]<E|n,l,m>_t[/tex] by means of the Dyson series and it comes off as 0...

Re: Transition from bound states to "continuous" states

And what bothers me is that I know that is physically possible to ionize an atom... That is, send an electron in a bound state into a scattering state..

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
Insights Author

If I have the Hamiltonian for the Hydrogen atom and a perturbation given by a classical electric field (the kind of problems you get in an ordinary course about QM, no QFT involved), can I have a transition from a bound state (I intend a discrete state [tex]|n,l,m>[/tex]) to a state with energy greater than 0 (that is a state in the continuous spectrum of the unperturbed Hamiltonian). I calculated the probability amplitude [tex]<E|n,l,m>_t[/tex] by means of the Dyson series and it comes off as 0...
Maybe you should share your calculation. Otherwise one cannot tell what you did wrong.

Matterwave

Science Advisor
Gold Member

Did you make sure to conserve angular momentum in your transition?

Thank you but I managed to solve my problem. It was a calculation mistake!