1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Transitioning from teaching to Data science

1. Aug 17, 2017 #1
    Hi all! First of all I am sorry about (grammatical ,etc) mistakes that I maybe do but english is not my first language. I am physics teacher in Greece holding a B.Sc. in Physics and a M.Sc. in Physics teaching. After 3 years of professional teaching I would like to start working in another sector more profitable because teaching is very low paid job here in Greece. So, I consider entering IT Development jobs and specifically Data Science as there are many and much better paid job posts. The problem is that the only coding I have done in my life was during my studies C++, Unix, HTML. A few days ago I started the Data Science specialization from John Hopkins uni.
    Do you believe that it could help me essentially?
    Do you believe that I could pursue developing jobs after this specialization and/or a masters degree in IT/ Data Science?
    Which IT sector do you believe that would be the most appropriate to my profile?
    Which IT sector is in huge demand ?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2017 #2
    Well it won't hurt, and you have to start somewhere. I don't think that, by itself, it is going to be enough.

You should be thinking this way: "I need multiple finished projects demonstrating I can leverage advanced analytics through code. Will this degree help me do that?" Maybe it does. Maybe you don't even need it. That's something only you can answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted