Translation operator expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses a series expansion of a function and the confusion surrounding the differentiation variable. The author brings up the topic of the Chain rule for a composite function and the ambiguity of notations when taking partial derivatives. Different notations for differentiation are also mentioned, including the use of different variables. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity and potential for confusion in mathematical notation.
valjok
Excuse me my lack of expertise, but it is very curious. Recently, I have https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=54055", which I qualify 'absolutely amaizing' when I read it. It almost satisfies my curiosity on Laplace because I can almost understand it, except the shift operator. The author brings it from quantum physics remarking that its justification is purely mathematical (so, asking here, in 'mathematics of change and motion', I must be appropriate) and can be understood from the "series expansion of the function f(x+a) around x":
[tex]f(x + a) = \sum{ a^n f^{(n)}_x \over n!}[/tex]

What kind of expansion is it? It lacks the member xn to complement d/dx for the Taylor expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
valjok said:
Excuse me my lack of expertise, but it is very curious. Recently, I have https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=54055", which I qualify 'absolutely amaizing' when I read it. It almost satisfies my curiosity on Laplace because I can almost understand it, except the shift operator. The author brings it from quantum physics remarking that its justification is purely mathematical (so, asking here, in 'mathematics of change and motion', I must be appropriate) and can be understood from the "series expansion of the function f(x+a) around x":

What kind of expansion is it? It lacks the member xn to complement d/dx for the Taylor expansion.
You have a Taylor expansion where x is fixed and a is variable, so you get terms in an not xn.

Last edited by a moderator:
d(x+a)/dx = 1 = d(x+a)/da and, therefore, df/dx = df/da = df/d(x+a)?

valjok said:
d(x+a)/dx = 1 = d(x+a)/da and, therefore, df/dx = df/da = df/d(x+a)?

That seems nonsense to me.

valjok said:
"series expansion of the function f(x+a) around x":

Write it as
[tex]f(x + a) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty {f^{(n)}(x) \over n!}a^n[/tex]

mathman said:
You have a Taylor expansion where x is fixed and a is variable, so you get terms in an not xn.

Thanks. It became trivial since I have realized that df/dx = df/d(a+x) * d(a+x)/dx = df/d(a+x) * 1 = df/da. If this is what they do, the topic does not make any interest. Can we remove it?

g_edgar said:

This is a Chain rule for a composite function. I need to prove that df/dx = df/da. Otherwise, I cannot write df/dx * a^n in Taylor's numerator.
g_edgar said:
Write it as

This makes nonsense to me. That is, it is an ambigous sentence because (x) has two meanings. What you do is hiding the diverative variable. It might advantageous when we agree on the variable and omit to save the writing. But in this case, the derivative variable in the focus of question, if it is df/dx or df/da. Hiding does not solve a problem.

Last edited:
g_edgar said:

Write it as

Mathematics does seem like nonsense at times.
There is no one way to write a taylor expansion.

Here is a nice one.
[tex]f(x+a)=exp\left (a \frac{d}{dx}\right) f(x)[/tex]

valjok said:
This is a Chain rule for a composite function. I need to prove that df/dx = df/da. Otherwise, I cannot write df/dx * a^n in Taylor's numerator.

This makes nonsense to me. That is, it is an ambigous sentence because (x) has two meanings. What you do is hiding the diverative variable. It might advantageous when we agree on the variable and omit to save the writing. But in this case, the derivative variable in the focus of question, if it is df/dx or df/da. Hiding does not solve a problem.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x+a)=\frac{d}{da}f(x+a)[/tex]
If that is what you mean.
The expression df/dx = df/da was ambiguous.
The expansion was not ambiguous as differentiation was clearly with respect to x.
What two meanings do you think x has?

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
The expansion was not ambiguous as differentiation was clearly with respect to x. What two meanings do you think x has?
Why not with respect to a? Does f'(a) imply the differentiation over a? How do I know if f'(x) is fa'(x) or fx'(x) or fx'(a)? The (x) meanings are: 1) the point of taking value of a function and 2) specification of variable in partial derivative.

lurflurf said:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x+a)=\frac{d}{da}f(x+a)[/tex]
If that is what you mean. The expression df/dx = df/da was ambiguous.
There is only one function, which has arguments x and a. A variable must be specified when taking a partial derivative. Especially, when somebody creates a topic to resolve the controversy with the differentiation variable. Now, how variable hiding resolves the ambiguity and what are other meanings of df/da and df/dx? Thanks.

valjok said:
Why not with respect to a? Does f'(a) imply the differentiation over a? How do I know if f'(x) is fa'(x) or fx'(x) or fx'(a)? The (x) meanings are: 1) the point of taking value of a function and 2) specification of variable in partial derivative.

There is only one function, which has arguments x and a. A variable must be specified when taking a partial derivative. Especially, when somebody creates a topic to resolve the controversy with the differentiation variable. Now, how variable hiding resolves the ambiguity and what are other meanings of df/da and df/dx? Thanks.

Okay.
So f here only has one variable as it is written f(x).
The function g(x,a)=f(x+a) has two variables, but partials with respect to each variable are equal.
You are correct that all of these notations have a slight amount of ambiguity, but they are not being used in an ambiguous manner. The letter used in the argument of a function is the value of the argument not the variable of integration.
f'(x) would be read the first derivative of f evaluated at x
f''(a) would be read the first derivative of f evaluated at a
The ambiguous thing about that is not what derivative is being taken as there is only one, but if x or a are known, unknown, or variable.
fa'(x) or fx'(x) or fx'(a)
These are all confusing.

Now let us consider a function of several variables.
h(x,y,z)
f(1,0,0)(x,y,z)
f(0,1,0)(x,y,z)
f(0,0,1)(x,y,z)
would be nice ways to denote differentiation with respect to each variable.
fx(x,y,z)
fy(x,y,z)
fz(x,y,z)
are also used especially when the variable have meaning
confusion can result though
f(0,1,0)(z,x,x)
is more clear than
fy(z,x,x)

The original
f(n)x
should be taken to read the nth derivative of the single variable function f evaluated at x.

1. What is a translation operator expansion?

A translation operator expansion is a mathematical technique used to express a function or equation in terms of translations, or shifts, of a base function. It involves using a translation operator, which is a mathematical operator that shifts a function in space, to expand the original function in a series of translations.

2. How is a translation operator expansion used in scientific research?

Translation operator expansions are commonly used in physics and other scientific fields to simplify equations and make them easier to solve. They can also be used to study the behavior of physical systems and understand the effects of translations on a given function or equation.

3. What is the difference between translation operator expansion and Taylor series expansion?

The main difference between translation operator expansion and Taylor series expansion is that translation operator expansion uses translations in space, while Taylor series expansion uses derivatives of a function. Translation operator expansion is typically used for functions that are periodic or have a specific symmetry, while Taylor series expansion can be applied to any function.

4. Can translation operator expansion be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, translation operator expansion can be applied to higher dimensions. In fact, it is often used in three-dimensional space to study the behavior of physical systems. The higher the dimension, the more complex the translation operator expansion becomes, but the principles remain the same.

5. Are there any limitations to using translation operator expansion?

One limitation of translation operator expansion is that it can only be applied to functions that have certain symmetries, such as periodicity or translational symmetry. It also becomes increasingly complex in higher dimensions and may not always yield an exact solution. Additionally, it is not always the most efficient or accurate method for solving equations and may not be suitable for all types of problems.